5/14/11

Not Normal




There were 1200 hits on this blog yesterday.
Sure, many of them are refreshes and returning visitors, but still.
Kind of a lot of people.
It got me thinking.

What is the most important thing I could say to you? What would be worth reading, worth your time?

I was born a little bit different -- when I was just a little kid my older sisters would say, "Come here, Normal" to which I'd scream, "I'm NOT NORMAL!!" I've always had authority problems and rebellious problems and rebel rouser problems. I got kicked out of church camp EVERY YEAR but my parents still made me go back. I was my parent's worst nightmare throughout my teen years, aside from my intensity about academics. I've never really been a good girl.
After high school I attempted to quit going to the LDS church. I had LDS friends and attended church but I had many problems bending my will to that of an organized religion. I believed that the LDS lifestyle was a good way to live but I wasn't trying very hard and I didn't really feel like I fit in: I had weird hair, I supported liberal politics, I hated Utah, I didn't go to BYU, I didn't think women should serve missions, I had no verbal filter, I was a feminist, I wore bikinis, I was fun.
A bit weird, not that cute, hanging out in my favorite section of Barnes & Noble. You're not a real blogger if you can't post gross pics of yourself.

Despite not fitting in I found myself an LDS husband who tolerated and celebrated my unMormony brand of Mormonism. We had a lot of good years together in which he would help me dye my weird hair, discuss the merits of attending non-Sunday church activities, and seek out less "normal" Mormons to befriend.
While I was definitely on the fringe of LDS culture, I didn't realize that I may have also been on the fringe of LDS practice. Sure, I went to church and attended the temple, did my callings and lived the LDS lifestyle. Nevertheless I felt stagnant in my belief.
And then came crisis.
During the crumbling of my marriage I found myself alone on Sundays while my ex was either traveling or doing theater. I found myself alone at night. I found myself alone in general.
On those Sundays I had a couple of kids who were not going to go to church that day unless I took them. And so I took them.
On those nights alone at 2 am there was no one to call and nothing to do but worry. The church says to seek for solace in the scriptures. And so I read them.

This was my hour of need and I had faith that the simple Sunday School answers would work: read the scriptures, say your prayers.
And it did work.
I was strengthened. We got through the worst of it. The rain came down and the floods came up and this house on the Rock stood firm.
I've been through the greatest trial of my life and it was a crucible for me. It taught me faith, humility and reliance on Christ.
I've always been a believer, but now my strong will is more flexible. I've been humbled.
I'm still a liberal voting, rebellious, kinda weird feminist woman with little filter, but I have been through hell and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Gospel taught in the LDS church is an absolute necessity.
I invite you to look into it. It's totally in this season.
And if it feels foreign or you think you're not going to fit in or it's not for you, come sit by me.
If I can do this so can you.

25 comments:

Rain in My Head said...

Beautiful post. Loved every word.

Jeanelle said...

Loved this. I am the girl in my ward who votes for a lot of democrats, drinks a lot of diet coke and who shocked most of the stake YM/YW presidency members I serve with when I talked to the youth about how I still have a hard time saying no to rated R movies. But I'm also the girl who loves the Lord, serves with all her heart and whose favorite place to be is in the temple. Heavenly Father loves us all. So happy you're happy too.

Kd Nay said...

So, again I am crying while I read your blog. Everything you have said about your past is what is going on in my present. I have always been torn between two worlds and two Kd's. I ready my scriptures and say my prayer diligently. I attend church as often as I can (sometimes I have to work, Boo!!!) But I still feel lost and alone. I need to go to the temple and want to go but can't at the moment. That's another story. Most of the time I feel as though I don't deserve to go back.
I would love some spiritual guidance and inspiration. I think it's awesome that you are so stong after what you have had to endure. I know I have said it many times but you have been part of the light at the end of my tunnel. Thank you!

Hollyween said...

Nor, this was an EXCELLENT post. I'm so happy you found your guy! The only good thing about trials is how faith building they are. We cling to what matters most when we have to go through hell and back. I sometimes wonder what my testimony would be like had it not been for all the cancer/infertility crap.

I think you're great.


And I'm really happy for you!

And how the heck did you get 1200 hits? Am I missing something how your blog went viral and uber popular? I mean, I've always loved your blog and all, but 1200?! WOW!

MaryAnn said...

Love you Nor...
Your got all those blog hits because you are honest. With this entry you have outdone yourself. It is excellent.

Paige said...

You know it's just that CRAZY checking you 1000 times a day because she wants to be you. If it makes you feel any better that picture of you is so hideous Charlotte didn't even recognize you as she's sitting next to me. So take it down.

bronwyn said...

I love it. I have no filter either, and often feel very left out because I like to be a fringey kind of LDS-er. But I like to think my testimony too is strong despite my sailor mouth and my affinity for odd clothes and a less conventional way of raising Gwenner. You're a great role model Nor, and of course being Gaga's best friend and a hot and dangerous dresser helps up your awesomeness factor too. Maybe one day when I grow up I'll be as cool as you?

S said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post because I hate it when people think they have to fit in the mormon box to be a member, when, to use a "christian" term, God is so much bigger than our cultural expectations. I also have to laugh because when people out here who are kind of like you meet me, they automatically dislike me because they think I must know nothing about life and I'm naive, narrow-minded, and republican, all of which I'm not. But I'm glad people like you don't change and wear bikinis and color your hair crazy colors, etc. because it shows the gospel is for EVERYONE, and not people that fit the mold. Plus, you can pull that stuff off, and someone like me can't.

So...here's to seminary answers and that they actually work!

ps-I don't think seeing an R rated movie counts as rebellious AT ALL. And lying isn't bad either. Neither is your little girl wearing sleeveless stuff. Those are my 2 cents.

Celia Fae said...

This is good. I'm sending people.

Jessica said...

Love that this tells the truth that the gospel of Jesus Christ is for every single person.

You KNOW I love the churchy posts!

OnCallMom said...

Loved this--powerful stuff. :) And I just saw a commenter say that it isn't bad to have your daughter wear sleeveless dresses. Gosh, I hope so! My 3 yo does, and it just occurred to me that some people in my ward might consider this taboo. oy.

Courtney said...

This. I like reading stuff like this. The real stuff and the true stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us, Nor!

melis said...

You will never believe this... but i have chills.

You really are fantastic. I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I L.O.V.E. YOU.

laurel said...

I love this. Thank you. And congrats again!!

exdjryan said...

You're awesome, mon cœur.

Brigitta said...

two words for you....love it!!!

Michelle said...

Such a beautiful post! Thanks for helping to dispell the notion that this is not a church for individuals. Love that free agency! And I haven't been over here in a few days. CONGRATS! So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Glad you ended with a super cute picture. I just listened to Ukdorf's talk a minute ago so I'd feel like I did some scripture study. (Listening counts, right?)

I'm proud of your post. I bet it was pretty hard to write and word and put out there, but you done good.

--Cat

ps--1200?! You're really pop-U-lar!

Anonymous said...

PS--KT oncallmom and Sus, I think it's SO LAME that people care about girls in sleeveless dresses. Was that even a rule in A1? I don't think so.

Sus, I think it's funny people thing you're like that. If only they knew your views on Palestine...

--cat

Lisa-Marie said...

What a beautiful testimony, Nor.! I admire your strength and honesty.

Kimberly said...

Great and touching post, Nor. It is one I'll continue to think about.

Lauren in GA said...

Nor, this was wonderful. I loved it. I appreciate being able to read your testimony.

I am liking the blue streak in your hair. I noticed it in the cake picture in the, "We're Getting Married!" post.

Why did you think women should not serve missions. I'm just curious...

b.liz said...

Melissa, I have the chills too.

You're incredible, Nor. Love ya.

(Oh, and i totally get the rebellious streak...don't agree with you all the time, but I totally get it.)

Mardee Rae said...

You are beautiful, inside and out. Love you! It's so nice to hear your testimony and how your faith in Christ strengthened you in hard times. Your rebellious streak has always been fascinating to me--and I think it's important for people to know that they don't have to fit the mold to be a Follower of Christ.

Anna said...

This is good. Glad I got sent. Loves to you dearest.