4/26/11

WFT: Nor

My WFT is one that’s shared by most of my family.
We’re not huggers.
hug
This is weird if you’re over 5.
049 
You’d think we would be, being mostly girls and loving babies in the way that we do.  But I think I can speak for most of my siblings when I say that we’re not really on the hug bandwagon.028
I pretty much get all my hugging done with this guy.  (And Some Guy)
We don’t deny hugs, we just are always a little caught of guard by them and they typically make me very uncomfortable.  Why do people press against each other?  What do they get out of hugs?  Am I missing something? 
To me hugs are either sexual or an opportunity for a cheap feel or something reserved for children.  I think hugs peak in middle school when they really are an excuse to get all up in another person’s grill and touch them.  Creepy. 
I’m extremely physically affectionate with my children and significant others, but beyond that I’m a bit weirded out.  Is it weird to be weirded out by hugs?
I’m trying to retrain myself.  I aspire to being more hug-friendly because clearly I’m missing something.  Force me to hug you.  Thanks.
  004
Maybe I’m Victorian.  Don’t think Victorians hugged.

11 comments:

Celia Fae said...

I'm in young women's. I hug. We just don't hug each other because that would be like admitting that we liked each other.

Celia Fae said...

Um, is that a nekkid photo? Gross.

Marie HMJ said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I thought I was the only one. Im gushy with babies and kids. all over Jed. I like a very occasional hug from my parents. Like when I came home from my mission. Or at an airport goodbye. Thats it.

Some people get it and some people dont, but I think in a few days Im going to post a link to this on my blog, to gain legit-cy.

heidiram said...

As a middle school teacher, hugs really creep me out. My students know about my need for lots of personal space. However, I am confronted by raging hormonal teens trying to sneak hugs all the time. YUCK!

Terri OConnor said...

I hug. My kids hug. We hug at greetings and farewells. We hug when we are happy and when we are sad. We will all hug you. Call it therapy or whatever you like. We like you and if you can stand it, you will get a hug!

Mardee Rae said...

I thought I wasn't a hugger, either, until I realized it was just my sister's hug-issues rubbing off on me. Once you admit that hugging is healthy (and that hugging any male that is not your boyfriend/husband/baby needs to be a side-hug and not a boob-presser), I think you'll like it, too! Yeah, start using the side hug and you'll realize that a hug is a good thing.

Paige said...

I'm learning to like hugs. I'm definitely incorporating more and more into my life. Try hugging Mom. It's totally gratifying because she's so alarmed but really sometimes you just need a hug from your mom so you need to just take one.

Paige said...

Agreed- weird nakey picture.

Lauren in GA said...

I like the last picture. You look beautiful and it looks like Jude is about to make his escape. I have lots of pictures of my boys trying to escape...so maybe that's not what he is doing...just what I'm used to seeing.

I am the exact same way. I guess because I am generally friendly people think I like to hug and I definitely DO NOT. But Celia is right...whenever I work in Young Women I have to stomach the hug fest.

Anonymous said...

I hate hugs. We don't hug.
--cat

S said...

Yeah, you should see us saying goodbye for long term in an awkward, half hug, completely uncomfortable "Do we know each other?" way.

I'm trying to figure out hugging right now. I don't know how except to announce "I'm going to give you a hug" and then hug. And if that's not as awkward as the actually hugging part, then I don't know what is. I'm trying to incorporate hugging into my life (besides husbands and kids, of course) but I just can't wrap my brain around it. At what age do you miss the hugging bandwagon? And why is it so hard to jump on as an adult?