5/25/11

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

I’m obsessed with this movie:

image

Have you seen it?  Go buy it or find it on Netflix or something.  Or invite me over to watch it with you because I want to watch it again and again.

It’s the story of black hair and the lengths (ha, pun) women go to to get long luscious Beyonce hair.  Relaxing, extensions, weaves, they’re all in there.  It was a total revelation and I loved how black girls spilled their hair secrets that I’ve been wondering about my whole life.  I watched it again last week with my fabulous and lovely hair dresser friend Melissa. She was as mystified as I was and I thought, as a hair dresser, she would be privy to this sort of information.  Apparently only black hair dressers know their secrets?  Why is that?

What is UP with Beyonce’s blowing in the wind hair?  How did she get it that long and silky looking using relaxer which I know just fries your hair?  Is everybody related to Native Americans?  How does Michele Obama get her hair to look perfect?  Who is wearing fake hair?  What is fake hair?  How much does this all cost?  And most importantly, HOW DO I GET IN ON IT??

image image

Weave, weave.

A weave means a lot of different things.  These, I’d guess, are full pieces that are sewn onto the head after the real hair is french braided down to the scalp.  It’s a fascinating process and one that takes hours, has to be redone every 6 weeks, looks like it hurt, and costs a fortune.  I want to try it!  But it sounds itchy.

image image

Braided, netted, extensions to be sewn on.  These are clipped to the hair.

Now everywhere I go I’m constantly evaluating black girl’s hair and analyzing how they got it to look so amazing.  It’s like art.  They can change their hair dramatically overnight. 

Jealous.

Wigs are definitely not part of white girl culture, unless the wearer is undergoing some sort of chemotherapy, in some theatrical show, or maybe a prostitute.  If you see a white girl wearing a wig A) you notice and B) you try to determine if she is sick.  I’ve always been tempted by wigs but never given them a go.

025

Pre-wig, wearing wig cap and looking kinda scary.

No time like the present!

If you’re going to buy a wig, I say, go big or go home. Japanese girls wear wigs all the time for cosplay -- costume play dressup -- as seen with Gwen Stefani’s xenophilic (but perhaps condescending) Harajuku girls phase.  I didn’t want a natural looking wig.  I wanted an anime-style wig.  Not quite Lady Gaga, but something fantastic.

 image image

Cosplay girl, Girls in cosplay in the Tokyo Harajuku neighborhood. Jude in the stroller.

After being jealous of this blogger for months, I found some fabulous wigs for sale from China and went for it.

My wig’s debut was a regular Saturday.  My kids and I were headed to the Little Farm in Berkeley and then to the mall for some shopping.  Just me and them, probably not seeing anyone I knew.  Perfect time to experiment with my new freaky wig.  I was feeling brave and ready for adventure.

My mom helped me put on my piece, though she objected and didn’t get why I was wearing a pink wig.  I didn’t really know either.  I just felt like it, okay?

We got it on, I turned to her and she adjusted it and said, “Looks perfect.  You look like a prostitute.  Don’t be surprised if you get propositioned.  Have a good day!”  Thanks mom!

  135

At the Little Farm

At the Little Farm I quickly realized that being normal and with my kids totally validated me despite the weird hair.  I had a posse.  My kids didn’t think I was weird, they liked it!  It was like being a mermaid all day, or a Disney princess!  Stranger kids wandered up to me in interest.  I liked it!

Then we went to the mall.  We’re always a bit of a spectacle because I load all three kids onto one stroller.  This time I was pushing it wearing my weird wig.  Teenagers stopped me to talk about the wig.  Old people smiled at me.  It was strange being so conspicuous, but very amusing.  It made a boring and stressful walk through the mall a total adventure.

And then we ran into Carol!  Mimi’s preschool teacher (hi Carol!) was shopping with her mom and, as she passed me, was nudging her mom to look at the girl with the freaky hair.  Then when she recognized Mimi and Jude she said incredulously, “Lenore?!”  I loved that she knows me well enough to be simply amused.  It was so fun running into someone we knew and we laughed a lot.  It was the best part of the day.

Until that night.  It happened that I was meeting Some Guy, his boys, and our friends for dinner.  In Oakland.  At an Ethiopian restaurant where we are often the only white people there.  I don’t know why I felt more uncomfortable in that restaurant, and subsequently at Oak Street in Emeryville, than I had in less ethnically diverse areas.  For some reason a white girl wearing a wig in the majority white suburbs is different than a white girl wearing a wig around more black people.  People literally pointed and obviously nudged each other.

It was very interesting.  But then I thought to myself, why is it weird for me to wear a wig and not weird that the girl standing next to you is wearing fake hair?  What’s the difference?  Do you think her wig is less noticeable?  Cause I notice.  I know the fake hair secrets now. 

I’m slowly debuting my pink wig with my friends.  Today I wore it to the laundromat and the dentist.  It turned mundane activities into adventures, and all because of a mass of synthetic pink hair.

108

I’m totally buying more.

 099  105090094

Laundromat photoshoot.

18 comments:

Rain in My Head said...

love this post and your awesome pink wig. I think I would like that cut but I can't pull off color - not in this life. However, I am dying dying dying for part 2 of your previous post. Please please don't leave us hanging!

Celia Fae said...

Please can you get me this for my birthday?? I have been looking for this movie for EVER.

Love Your Favorite Niece Claire

Five Indulgences said...

Love this post. Love to think of you at the little farm in that wig. Love love love to think of what all those crunchy earth mother parents were thinking of your awesomeness.

ps. I'm ditching the old blog. you can link to my new one through this.

ps. why the heck are you at a laundromat? Doesn't PamJim let you cycle for free? Nice kind of grungy touch though. And cool backgound for portraiture.

Sally said...

Excellent and entertaining post. I want to see the movie.

Your blog has been so good lately. Some writers do better when depressed, but I think for you, happiness lets your creativity blossom.

laurel said...

I totally want to see this movie now. The question I've always wanted to ask is why do some black women have their hair kinda flattened around their head with many long bobby pins holding it in place? I see it all the time on the subway. Does this movie answer that? I'll have to see.

family said...

First...LOVE the movie. It's a movie of secrets answered that only leads to many more questions. Fascinating! Second, there are probably more white woman wearing fake hair (extensions) then is realized. Everywhere I go I look. Every T.V. show, I look. And where I look, I always find. I had to give it a try myself, naturally. It is fun! Doesn't itch, and feels like your wearing a great big secret. Although, as discussed, it's not really a secret. But it is fun! You should give it a go.

Lauren in GA said...

I saw a trailer for this move in the theater and I was totally fascinated. I want to see the full length movie.

Your mom kills me. Telling you plainly that you look like a, "prosti" and then wishing you a good day.

I love the photoshoot at the laundromat. Your kids are so gorgeous, Nor. Silas is so, *sniff* *sniff* BIG!

Shannon said...

I love it!

Mardee Rae said...

JJJJJJJJJJJJEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. You pull it off so well. I feel like proposing to you. Nor, will you please be my forever friend?!?

Caroline C. Bingham said...

I love wigs. You should definitely get a lot of them, just make sure they fit.

Paige said...

I'm sorry but I think it is completely awesome. If you need attention, there's nothing wrong with it. I'd never do it, but it's great- Just think of it as a hat. This may be my favorite post of yours ever.

DYING to see the hair movie with Chris Rock. Does Melissa cut kid's hair? I need a new hairdresser for my girls.

anonymous said...

My friend a mission comp has been wearing them for years and now sells them. All send you her address. She totally makes them work.

anonymous said...

Hers are more realistic. Her name is Becky.

becky underscore huff@yahoo.com

anonymous said...

PS--Sus, your comments crack me up, not just because you're my sister.

Oh, and she's so, so right about the Orthodox Jews having the BEST wigs. They all wig their hair and I was so jealous. It always looks good, despite the humid weather. I asked my Orthodox friend (as friendly as they'll be) in grad school about her wig. She was shocked I even knew she/they wore wigs. I told her how fantastic it looked, esp. with her Coach scarf. Nothing says simplicity like a Coach designer scarf. LOVED IT!

--cat

Esther said...

This makes me miss having fun hair. I was red/magenta/purple-headed for 2 weeks in college & it was a great conversation piece -- lots of strangers would ask me if it was real or how long it took. Get more wigs! And then designate an heir to your hair.

Ellie said...

My friend think you're nutts. I like it. The Laundry Portrait Series should be printed to replace your photos by the table at Pam's. Then when you get more kids and a husband you can add them in like the brady bunch!

Ellie said...

But you'll still be Jan Ha ha.

limpharasenty said...

Informative article, just what I was looking for.
Suicide squad joker wig