2/24/14

Who Wants to Watch Me Get Fat?!

030

Ok, ok, more reverently: Hush and I are joyously awaiting the birth of our offspring, due on our wedding day September 13. 

Hooray!  So excited!!

048

We had to get proof of baby for our insurance so we hit Planned Parenthood because I donate to them every year so why not take advantage?  Also, look at how Hush is looking at me.  That’s the look that’s the look – the look of love.

But really, the baby part isn’t happening until September.  I’m one of those people who doesn’t bond with the baby in utero because I’m emotionally protective.  I don’t imagine the scientific situation taking over my body as a baby until I hold that kid in my arms.  I make a concerted effort to not connect because I’m afraid of something bad happening to the baby and my being unable to recover from such an event.  If you have a miscarriage or something like unto it it’s very different if you think of that as losing a person with a name and an (imagined) identity.  So I usually don’t find out the sex before the baby comes.  I found out with Silas because there were other traumatic unsure things happening in my life.  Hush may persuade me otherwise, but for now, I’m not finding out the sex.  Yellow baby clothes here I come.

334

Possibly the only clothing items I will need to buy for offspring, as my sisters and I have bins upon bins of baby clothes.

Thus, I can enjoy the experience that is pregnancy without obsessing over the effects of all the weird things happening with my body.

Mostly what is happening is eating.  I eat so I don’t barf constantly and man, it’s already catching up with me.  I fully intend to wear stretchy clothes for the next two years.  My baby tummy isn’t showing at all really, but don’t worry, I’m making up for it by entirely letting myself go with reckless abandon.  Exercising while pregnant is for masochists, besides, where would I barf?  I’m going to get so fat it’s going to be rad.153

Child endangerment in a magazine.  Also, knock it off, pregnant exercisers. DO stop the dance.

I love being pregnant.  Well, I thought I did.  All three of my pregnancies have been smooth sailing, with little nausea and no issues.  This pregnancy, however, has thrown me for a loop.  I’ve never been so sick in my life.  Every day is a Battle Royale featuring food on one side and barfing on the other.  Should I eat or should I barf?  My nose could put a bloodhound’s to shame.  I run from smells like they are a hacking cough on a subway in Asia.  I gag at the slightest provocation – I can’t even type vinegar without doing that preventative barf swallow.  It’s so sudden that Hush has many times thought I was bluffing and nearly wound up with a lap full of dinner.  Even Mimi knows when to grab whatever’s in my hands and clear the way between me and the bathroom. 

120

Hush came home from work and was greeted by this gloriousness.

List of things that make me gag . . . think I can make it through?

Café Zupas.  Used to be my favorite until one fateful day.

Anything that has a scent in the fridge.

Onions.

Vinegar.

Milk, depending on the time of day.

Any mention of food that is different from the food I am currently eating.  I have toast and you offer me a cookie?  Retching commences.

The smells of someone having cooked something in the kitchen.

Meat cooking.

Indian food.

 

List of things I love

Anything on the banned foods list.  Oysters.  Soft cheeses.  Sushi.  Carpaccio (raw beef with lemon).

Anything I can’t get my hands on.  Brass Bear Sandwiches.  Sourdough Bread.  Skewers from Citra Grill across the street from the movies in Walnut Creek

388

Pam and Jim came to visit and brought me Brass Bear!

Anything that requires Hush going to the store at midnight.  I don’t know why that makes food taste so much better.

Anything that is closed when I want it.  Ethiopian food and delis.

O’Doul’s.  That wins for weirdest pregnancy craving.  I despise even the smell of beer but for some reason

when I’m pg I need to take one sip of near beer and throw the rest away.  Revolting, doesn’t mix well with prenatals.

106

Now let me say something about how unbelievably amazing it is to have a husband who loves you and wants to take care of you while you are growing his baby.  Hush is always good to me but he has taken his kindness to uncharted levels.  If I so much as swoon when I’m getting the kids ready for school he swoops in and takes over.  He guards my sleep and makes sure I have medicine, food, a garbage can and anything else I need in the evenings when I’m sickest.  At church yesterday I was feeling the Hungry v. Barf war coming on and he bolted home and back bringing me sliced oranges, cookies, string cheese AND hot chocolate in a portable cup.  It was like a miracle.  It’s almost like every day I spent alone while pregnant with Jude and Silas is being made up one hundred fold.  If you can at all swing it, make sure to have your fourth kid with a shiny new perfect husband.  It is a coddling experience not to be missed.  All this for housing his offspring for nine and a half months. 

409

Church rations provided by the kindest man alive.

355

15 comments:

Sarah Blue said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you both.

Unknown said...

I love this post and your shiny new marriage. I hope that orange was from the Jazz produce pack.

Lesa said...

So happy for you!

Laura said...

This is great! Congratulations!

Circe said...

You make barfing sound so exciting and glamorous! Except that I get nauseous reading about morning sickness. Hmm, maybe it's twins!?

Jennie said...

I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy. I hope it will pass. I'm oh so happy for you. Can't wait to read about how this all unfolds and your new adventures. Love ya! Oh, and I totally had Circe's idea - twins?

Mardee Rae said...

I can't count the things I love about this post, but here are some of my most-faves: O'douls. okay, the weirdest craving I've ever heard of. Weirder than dirt. weirder than chalk. weirder than when I call spencer in tears because I wanted to go to NY to get Malaysian food. And the idea of getting a shining new husband for pregnancy #4. you deserve a doting baby-daddy, for sure! to be sure, though, any man who is asking you to be pregnant for the fourth time, whether it's his first or fourth, better frickin be right there to wipe the vomit off your lip and clean the smells out of the fridge, etc. The fourth is a B-word. Not the baby, just the pregnancy. Oh, and congrats! So happy and also soooo hoping this doesn't mean I'm also expecting since our bodies like to do this together...

Anonymous said...

Good job hush!!! Keep up the great work!!! And, I bet its a little girl. :)

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Yay! Yay! Yay!

Sally said...

Such a happy post. Yay yeah yeah!

And now a flashback from my last pregnancy:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Leftover Chinese food.
(Barf)

Kimberly said...

This made me so happy! Congratulations.

lea said...

Congrats, Lenore!! I'm SO happy for you! You and your kids deserve the best. Can't wait to meet the little nug and Hush! You know who to call if you need a sitter ;)

Mary H. said...

Love your Happy posts.... Almost a year since Jay... I miss Him!

Lauren in GA said...

I am so happy for you :) So sorry about the nausea...

Many, many, many, many CONGRATS!

Victory said...

Congratulations! In honor of your "delicate" state (Bwahahaha! Snort!) Here are two crappy haiku I wrote when I was pregnant with Quinn :

You're glowing, he says,
As he rubs my belly--damn!
Puked on him again

When one of you is
The size of a jellybean,
You're eating for one

Ta-da! Lurve you!