1/3/10

Baby Silas


Last Monday we welcomed our third Cr*ven baby into the world. Mom took me to the Doctor at 10am and then we went straight over to the hospital. Once there they quickly (not quickly enough) hooked me up to the IV and dosed me with beloved Stadol. Celia, Paige and Dx showed up bearing food that I was starving for but was not allowed to eat. My favorite: Boudin sandwiches and Jamba Juice. Mom was grateful to be relieved and hurried home to watch my "big" kids. Pam doesn't stay for births because she doesn't like watching her daughters in pain and feeling helpless. I had plenty of doulas though Ellie was missed because she was in Utah visiting her other family.
Yes, I wear makeup while I'm in labor. I'm going to be looking at these pictures for the rest of my life, I better look presentable.
The epidural (and pitocin) came next but only worked on ONE SIDE. It made me so mad. I'd had a bad epidural situation last year with Jude requiring a second one right before delivery. This one numbed me from my armpit to my toes on one side with little pain relief on the other. Once again I had to coax the stinking anesthesiologist to give me more drugs, all the while freaking out because "I can feel this and it hurts!!" I went from a three to a ten in about an hour or less. My sisters and the nurse kept me entertained discussing Elin Woods' predicament. Angie was a great nurse. I know the staff over there by name, they recognize me when I come in.
Paige and Celia: Labor coaches / drug advocates. Also the sisters who chat with the doctor and giggle while I'm pushing out the baby. Hello! Pay attention! I'm giving birth!


Born at 38 weeks, Silas is my smallest baby. 7.12 is little for me!

Finally they rolled me onto my back and viola! The epidural worked! Actually it worked a little too well, I couldn't feel anything at all, not even whether I was pushing or not. I just pretended to push and didn't tell anybody that I had no clue what was going on. I just made a pushing face. Apparently that worked because out came the baby in about 10 minutes. Who are these women who have to push push push for two or three hours? That would be awful. I'm really lucky I'm built like some kind of brood mare.


Video of Celia pushing out my baby. Hilarious. She is available for your next birth if you need help pushing.

Out comes baby and he is covered in vernix. He was the quietest newborn I've ever heard and still is. He was breathing just fine but never bothered to let out a big old wail. He was silent. I'm sure he'll find his voice soon, right now we're just enjoying the little squeaks.
Proud parents with baby Silas
The whole family came pouring in (Phil and Aub bringing a replacement Boudin sandwich). Sadly, no children under 16 were allowed in the hospital because of H1N1 so Mimi and Jude didn't get to meet baby until we came home.
Then began the battle of the names.
Before we went into the hospital Dx and I had determined that we really liked Sky. But my whole entire family didn't like it and they voiced that opinion loud and clear. During the birth Celia read from one of our name lists and mentioned Silas. As soon as she said it I knew that was the kid's name but I also knew that Dx was only so-so on it. I like that Si sounds like Sky and that Silas sounds like Silence, though it means Saver. For those of you who've forgotten, Silas was one of Paul's missionary companions in the NT. I wanted to use Dx as a middle name because we like that name and who knows if we'll ever have another boy.(ps, and in case you didn't know, there is an A between D and X, but I don't write it on my blog because I try to give Dx some internet privacy in case one of his clients google him and find me) Silas Dx sounds euphonious.
Dx came to the hospital the following day and added about ten more new names into the mix, resulting in the strangest list you've ever seen. Everything from Romeo to Isaiah to Cruz to Ulysses was suggested. It was funny to me because I'd already named the baby and had been calling him that from hour 1. I wanted Dx to feel like he'd come to the decision on his own, so when he suggested Dx Silas I jumped at it and quickly signed the papers. Dx tried to call him Dx, but he felt like he was speaking in the third person and switched over to Silas. Name victory!

Silas is an easy newborn thus far. He sleeps, nurses and poops. Sometimes he opens his eyes and looks around. Nursing is hard because I always have trouble getting babies to latch on, but once he's on he's a good eater. He has the cutest little parts, I spend the day eating him up.

My favorite part of this new baby is watching how Mimi and Jude interact with him. They are both in love. Jude was disinterested at first, but now he's very concerned and likes to check on the baby and practice saying his name. Mimi (despite her horrible cold that is giving me panic attacks) loves to cuddle him and watch him nurse.


Jude and Silas. 16 months and three days, respectively.
Mimi (2 years 10 months) and her new baby.

I'm very grateful for everybody who has been helping me with the children. The college kids were in town so they entertained Mimi and Jude and made my life a lot easier. Pam has been giving me plenty of sleeping time and in return I make sure she gets adequate newborn cuddle time. It's a symbiotic relationship. Everybody around here has been taking my kids, bathing them, feeding them, putting them to bed and otherwise being unbelievably helpful. I am eternally grateful.

And, for your entertainment, a video of Mimi meeting her baby for the first time. The unintelligible word near the end is "trampoline."

34 comments:

Christie said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how beautiful that baby is. And you are disturbingly beautiful during labor. Lipstick intact? I don't think I look that good five minutes after I get ready in the morning, let alone mid-labor. Well done, you. Congrats.

kara jayne said...

love it...and i want to eat him up. oh, and can you teach me how to do make-up? i'm not kidding either. i'd like a tutorial. still not kidding.

Nancy said...

Thanks for the awesome post on the subject! Let's just say I need nothing more to brighten my entire month after watching that video of Mimi meeting her new baby! :)

Lauren in GA said...

The videos were great. I love how Mimi is so excited. She made me giddy with how giddy she was.

You look so beautiful. That picture of you holding Silas with Dx leaning over is stunning of you...and right after labor. You are amazing.

Congrats on the baby naming VICTORY.

What is with epidurals not working the way they should. I am so sorry. That happened with Adam and I thought I was going to have to slap the nurse to get her to understand how much pain I was in.

Lisa-Marie said...

That video of Mimi is the cutest thing EVER. Have you yet considered sending that to someone to make some big bucks? Seriously, Funniest Home Videos or something? That is pure joy.

Silas is so beautiful. Congratulations.

I'm glad you are well taken care of!

Marie HMJ said...

Gorgeous baby! Great name. I love Silas, and Si. I have a nephew, Cyrus who goes by Cy. Sounds identical, but isn't--just adding this in bc its a GREAT nickname. I just love it. Way to go. Here's to hoping the name clarity fairy is heading my way. You look fantastic.

andrea ross said...

Your new baby is very cute, but man, your old baby takes the cake! I love how excited she is and ready to take him bouncing on the trampoline:) Congratulations!!

Linsey said...

So darling and great name, as usual, on both counts. I'm glad you have lots of willing hands around. Congratulations.

Annemarie said...

He is precious, absolutely precious.

Mimi is taking after her mama & aunties with an undeniable love for babies!

Hollyween said...

He is gorgeous!!! I want to know how you get the perfect shade of lipstick too. Stunning!

Congratulations on your new little bundle. Mimi's excitement is totally contagious. Happy Newborn baby!!!

Brittany said...

Congratulations, he is absolutely precious! It makes me want to have another one already. :) I adore the video of Mimi getting so excited about her new baby. I'm glad to hear that you have a lot of help and that Silas is doing well.

Maryann said...

Congratulations on a job well done! Silas is adorable and to have a big sister who is all ready to entertain him.....wow what a lucky boy he is!
I could sure use a baby fix right now....

laurel said...

He is so sweet. Congratulations. If I give birth again in the future, I hope to look as good as you, get an epidural, and push that same length. Love this post!

Celia Fae said...

Wow, the video of me made me die laughing but the video of Mimi is making me swoon with cuteness. That is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. She's got the drama down, doesn't she?

Paige said...

I'm cracking up over the Mimi video. It's so awesome. I don't think she'll ever be so excited about either of her brothers again. For the record the Celia pushing thing was by accident. I was trying to get a picture of her pushing face but the video was on. It was great and I could NOT stop laughing which is why you were so mad at us. Worth it. I'm totally fired as a labor coach but no one can get rid of me.

did you see the video I took of the entire labor? Too graphic?

Ellie said...

Soooo! Has she jumped with him on the trampoline yet?!

D-dawg said...

Congratulations Lenore!! All 3 of your kids are beautiful-- I loved loved loved the video of Mimi. Her excitement is contagious. I'm glad to hear all is going well and you're getting so much help.

Terri OConnor said...

Ive watched the video three times. Lovely. Silas is adorable and Mimi is a star!!

queenieweenie said...

did it help when Celia pushed? i'm just wondering.

congratulations on a new, perfect little bundle..he is dang cute, of course!

Mardee Rae said...

congratulations, Nor! He is so cute. How are you feeling now? I'm so glad that you have had so much help with your other kids.
Even I am shocked with how flawless you looked, and i was totally expecting it.
I love the line about making a pushing face.

Mardee Rae said...

oh, and love the name. Definitely my fave of the final three choices. It sounds really good with your other names, too. Well done, again!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations!!!! Beautiful baby. Congratulations.

Kimberly said...

Don't know why I typed congratulations twice before- I guess I really mean it- but I had to come back and comment that the video of Mimi is just about the cutest thing EVER.

anonymous said...

Mimi is so cute!

Si is growing and changing so much already!! Oh, I want to cuddle him!

PS--Wait until his due date; then he'll wake. Ugh.

Jessica said...

That was one of the most interesting labor/delivery/new baby reports I've ever read on a blog. No skimming at all!

Of course he's so cute, I can't believe how sweet that newborn-on-the-scale is. Lucky you!

Sally said...

I could only enlarge the first picture to carefully inspect his preciousness. He passes, in face, with an A+...He is 100% precious. I envy you this time with a newborn, it is unlike anything else that ever happens in a woman's life.

Mimi in the video is so incredibly sweet and cute. What sincere emotion--it brought tears to my eyes! Isn't this amazing, what we can do, make little families, create siblings, and help them to love each other.

Good Job Nor.

P.S. The name is fantastic. Silas. It's strong and noble and somehow also soft.

Sally said...

Hmmm. I meant that to say that he passes, in FACT, with an A+. But I will have to give my typing a B-.

We will be needing more pictures soon.

Jake said...

He is beautiful. You are beautiful. Hope you are enjoying a baby-moon. I love those first days.

melis said...

I cannot get over Mimi's video. That may be the sweetest thing ever said by a 2 year old! I hope Savannah feels that way- it's going to be rough! Congratulations Lenore! When is a good time of day to come and visit?

Love to you and the newest babe!

Miss Courtney Lynn said...

Love love love the mimi video!!!!

heidiram said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations!

Gretchie Love said...

I miss you Lenore !! I am so happy to hear that all is well with baby Silas. He is so beautiful ! When can I come over and hold him ? :)

Tristan said...

Sorry that I am just now getting to your blog to read this post. I love hearing about baby birthing stories! He's beautiful!

I love the videos! So cute! Miss you lots! Wish I was there to help :)

Rachel U said...

congrats lenore!! mimi is adorable! and i love the name silas!