6/2/09

Tokyo Disney and the Imperial Palace

Ok, LAST Tokyo post. But really, I couldn't leave these things out.

Step Seventeen: Play the weakling.
Only on the last day did I discover that I could actually lift Mimi in the backpack.

Outside the Imperial Palace. If you go there, make sure to check the weird opening times. It was never open for us, but cool on the outside. Royalty really live there and it's in the center of Tokyo.


I still loved this child, even on the last day. Cam said today her personality is like a puppy.

And I love this angel of a child, here, 9 months.

Step Eighteen: Find their Target, or the closest approximation.
Apparently in the center of town this crazy store is their five storey version of Target and sells diapers and kid stuff.
This huge fish was in the entry way of the inexplicably named Don Quixote's.
For sale? Victory: two subway handles. I'm in love with this angel of a child.This is the entrance to their Target-like place. Got merchandising?And for all your face lifting needs, I give you whatever this air cushion on the right.



Step nineteen: Go to Disneyland, but see if you can pick a less crowded day than we did.
Actually, we went to Disney Sea, which is in the same general area as Tokyo Disney. Tokyo Disney is a carbon copy of Disneyland, but Disney Sea is completely unique and variously themed.

The Flounder ride underground in Ariel's kingdom. It was magical down there.There was an entire underground Ariel's Kingdom fully decked out with rides. Ariel is Mimi's favorite and she about died that we got to meet her. Ariel was American, which tempted me to question her resume. Is there some secret black market princess trading going on? How do I get in? Camille, there might be a future for you in this.Cute, but having kind of a hard day.Perhaps having a hard life. Seriously, what's worse than a bimbo? A himbo. What's worse than a himbo? A shimbo.This is another area in Disney Sea. You know, because the Aztecs were totally part mermaid. I don't know how this fits with the Disney Sea theme, but there it was and it was glorious.The Agrabah Marketplace. Very cool with rides and shows and snacks. Note how crowded it is. This is because we went to Disney during Golden Week, when everybody has off work. Duh.How not to lose your toddler. Do you have a better idea? Should I have put on her passport information? No leashes.
And FINALLY
Step Twenty: Buy your child the traditional costume and put it on her right before you get off the plane. Prepare to have strangers ask to take her picture. Allow them. Force her to bow and say "Arigato."


All in all, it was a wonderful trip. It was totally doable and you should do it too. Here are some sites to cheap tickets. I'm telling you, with the economy being what it is, they're practically giving tickets away. Sure it was hard and expensive and sometimes a little tricky, but these memories will last a lifetime and when you're all in, it probably costs about the same as going on a cruise or to Disneyland. I'll love my kid's baby passports forever and hope to add to their little stamps. I hope I've encouraged you to give it a try, and if you need help, I'm happy to assist you in going foreign.
Bon Voyage with your Bebes.






7 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

can you make it doable for a family of seven on an army soldier's salary?

i'm glad you guys had such a super time. would say it's a marriage maker or breaker? seems like it was good for parenting, how about spousing?

Tristan said...

I seriously loved your entire recap of your trip and the pictures were also totally fun! I feel like I just read a travel book done by you! Fun!

Lauren in GA said...

This series of posts was so fabulous. I love how smoothly things went because you embraced that it was truly a kids' trip.

That is so neat that Ariel is Mimi's favorite and she got to meet her. You crack me up, "secret black market princess trading going on."

I love that you put your e-mail address on your kids.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the fun travelogue. You even made me want to go there, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the kid part. I still think you are very brave.

devin said...

hey. alex told me you had a blog awhile back and i checked it out in the middle of the japan trip. funny posts, good ideas, and cute kids. It looked like a blast and seriously moved japan up on my travel wish list. great job.

Genuinely Garff said...

I want to go. I want to go right now. You inspire me. I am SO glad you guys are willing to give this kind of travel a go - and SO glad it paid off. Sounds like a perfect vacation. Did you bring home some of those face lift pillows? You know I turn 40 in a couple of months....

Claire said...

Of all things: Did American Ariel speak Japanese? Was she trilingual? Did she speak Spanish?