1/27/10

29 and All Is Well

Once upon a time I was awesome.
Halloween 2004: dressed as the golden bond girl from 'Goldfinger'

This is my last year of my twenties. It's been a good decade. Tomorrow is my 29th Birthday (my last birthday ever!)
Decade Reflection:

2001: 20 years old. Living in Los Angeles, going to school at SMC. Dating like a crazy woman. Met my best friend Alex.

2002: 21 yrs. Had great group of LDS friends in LA who threw me a surprise party (despite the fact that I hate surprises). Transferred to UCLA. Dated a guy 10 years older than me. Went to London for Shakespeare study abroad with UCLA. Met celebrities on a weekly basis, just hanging out in Hollywood. Went to clubs and lived it up. Glory days.

2003: 22 yrs. Had bad reputation in LA 1st ward. Graduated from UCLA, got job teaching right away at Audubon Middle School in South Central LA. Started dating non-member guy who almost converted. Got my own apartment in West Hollywood.

2004: 23 yrs. Met Dx at LA 1st in June, after my first year of teaching and his last year of law school. Had the summer of love where we went out all night and met for breakfast every day at noon. Greatest summer of my life. Engaged in October, married on New Year's. Still teaching. Moved to Hollywood.

2005: 24 yrs. Applied and then went to grad school in London at King's College, University of London to study Shakespeare. Quit job teaching. Spent summer in Dville, liquidated everything we had and then moved. Dx landed a job at a prestigious law firm. Dx and I hit 14 countries or so that year. Christmas in Rome. We were in a play together at King's.

2006: 25 yrs. Got really really baby hungry. And sad. Missed my family, it was really cold in London. We traveled all over Europe. I wrote my master's thesis and a self-help book called Good Girl's Guide to Life After High School. In May we found out we were expecting and moved back to Dville. Dx got a good job, we moved to WC.

2007: 26 yrs. Had Mimi. Life changed forever. Could not believe I had accomplished childbirth, and not only that but I was good at it! Greatest baby in the whole wide world. Got job as a professor in PH. Pregnant with baby 2 in November. Dx started his own law practice.

2008: 27 yrs. Moved to house in Dville. Had baby Jude in August. Taught choreography and English writing. Raised 2 babies.

2009: 28 yrs. Taught, raised 2 babies. Dx travelled a lot. Had live-in nanny and housekeeper! Went to Tokyo in May. Found out about baby #3 in June. Phil got married. Moved in with parents in September, had baby Silas after Christmas. Three babies in less than three years. Woot.

At the beginning of my twenties I evaluated myself by how much of the world I'd seen and what I was able to accomplish. I was really motivated by hard things: getting into UCLA, teaching somewhere really challenging, going to a great grad school, publishing a book, going to exotic lands. The transition into being a stay-at-home mother has been a shock to my psyche. My accomplishments now feel so much more mundane: I got everybody out the door on time, I spent one on one time with Mimi, I understood what Jude was trying to communicate, I helped Silas' diaper rash improve. As busy as I am with three and the challenges they present, I still feel a little less like myself when someone asks me, "What did you do today?" And I reply "Tended my kids." It feels good to slow down, to not worry that I didn't leave the house at all for two days and have nothing to do but swing my arms on Saturdays. I've become a homebody and I like it. Mine is a simple life right now.

10 comments:

Linsey said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations on finding contentment. I'd say you were definitely overdue some peace of mind in some quarter of your universe.

Terri OConnor said...

Happy Birthday! Great and varied accomplishments! Enjoy 29... though I found my 30's to be the BEST!

Tristan said...

Happy Birthday Nor! You've accomplished so much in a decade! I'm impressed!

You are a great Mother, and an amazing woman! I hope you have a wonderful birthday cuz you deserve it! Miss ya! Love ya!

Lauren in GA said...

You are till awesome, my dear. You have accomplished so much. I enjoyed reading about it. I find you completely and totally fascinating.

It doesn't feel that way with all of the mundane and, well, sticky and gross stuff mom's have to put up with...but I am really starting to believe that old saying, "The hand that rocks the cradle, is the hand that rules the world." (I am sure I probably slaughtered the quote...but you get the idea)

That picture is amazing. Did you know that the actress that was spray painted died because of the gold paint. Maybe that isn't true...but that's what I read somewhere.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

laurel said...

Happy Birthday! Oh how I loved reading this decade of accomplishments. Glamorous and not-so-glamorous, both. Hope your "last" birthday is a great one.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like my life is very much the same, except with 1/3 the chaos. I agree that my accomplishments in a day are completely different from what they were two years ago. It's insane, yet rewarding.

Congratulations on all of your success. I hope you have a wonderful day (which includes a nap), since I celebrate it on the 28th.

--cat

Mardee Rae said...

Happy birthday, Nor! I wish we could go to boudin's or something to celebrate. I've been complaining so much and so overwhelmed with my "lot in life", having these three kids. You handle it with so much grace and finesse. It humbles me and makes me proud to be a mom of three. I'm trying to be more like you.
Yay for your twenties--don't forget you have one more year left!
oh, and you should know there have been many times I've gone to call you and realized I've lost your phone number. So feel free to email me that or call me sometime.

Hollyween said...

I have to admit that seeing all the things you have done makes me feel sort of... lame. Like I haven't done anything exciting or interesting my whole life. Which, I have, but your stuff sure does sound more exciting!

Enjoy your last year in your 20's. 30 is awesome. You're going to love it in a year when you get there.

Happy Birthday!

kara jayne said...

happy happy birthday nor. i know exactly how you feel. you should read the book 'contentment' (find it a deseret book) it really made me feel good about the stay at home life i'm leading. it is the most important thing i could be doing.

you rock, and that gold picture of you is amazing...seriously awesome!