7/6/07

The Year of a Thousand Cars




Cravens like cars. More than liking cars, we like changing cars.


Dx talks about cars, he dreams about cars. I catch him researching cars on-line and if he's absent for a few hours, you can bet he's probably at the car lot test driving cars.


When I was 16 I started begging people who were 18 to take me to test drive cars. I had boyfriends with fun cars, I worked at Automart and I went to car shows. Before I met Dx I picked out and bought my first car "with my own money" (having sold the cars Dad gave me because I am spoiled.) It was a 1966 Mustang, pale green. I had the breaks updated and taught myself how to fix things like ignition starters, locks and windows. I don't know much about what happens under the hood, but I know how to check a car for previous accidents and what the pings in the engine mean (they're bad.)


The day I met Dx I lured him away from the other girls by inviting him to come check out my new car. He had also bought a new car that week -- his Honda S2000, which is kind of a car-guy's car.


Dx has had lots of cars. See if you can figure out the pattern: Honda DelSol, Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Porsche 911. He says he likes fast cars, I say he likes cars that Minnie Mouse would be proud to drive.


Before we got married, Dx bought me a BMW 330i. When we got back from Europe, we had had it with mini cars, so we bought the FJ Cruiser "for Tahoe". Then I became too fat and pregnant to lift my bulk into the FJ, so I bought a Prius. I almost accidentally sold my Prius, but I got to keep it.
Dx bought the Porsche because it's a "family car" which means it has a back seat, for a parapalegic. When he sells this, who knows what he will buy?

I have found just the car for him.


It meets nearly all the qualifications:




1) It's a hot color.


2) It's unique


3) Minnie Mouse would love it.
















Wait for it












wait for it





















It's an Amigo, I think. Pretty, very masculine.


5 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Love the photojournalism. Way to go. I can't wait to see what minivan you end up with.

Ellie said...

Mark likes to add up all the money you've lost in the car transactions and see waht kind of car he could buy for that amount. It is fun game. Right now you could probably afford this:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/366425162.html
It looks like a nice family car. You're welcome.

Paige said...

Just buy that minivan and get it over with. You can get a Minnie sticker on the back.

Celia Fae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellie said...

New post time. I miss Mimi.