11/9/15

October 2015

This year the kids begged me to join Chess Club.  Nerds. All three are thrilled to stay at school an extra hour to play the most boring game in the world.  How did they learn to play?  I have no idea.  But even Silas (age 5) knows all the pieces and how they move.
Jude at chess club.
 Baby girl is 13 months and just the most charming baby in the world.  I feel very proud that all of my toddlers have had winning personalities.  They're likeable.  I chalk it up to good sleep and the fact that I never bring them around people when they are likely to melt down.  But Lou is particularly friendly and will go to just about anyone.  She has no separation anxiety.  I think it's particularly funny when she walks up to one of my friends and grins and reaches for them to be held, like she's been dying to see them and think they're her best friend.  She makes people feel really special.
LouLou 13 months, likes beans.
 The highlight of this month was JudeJude's 7th birthday party.  I have found that I much prefer to throw big fat parties at my convenience, not at the exact time of birthday.  Jude turned 7 in August but we wanted to have a friend birthday that people would actually remember and attend so we waited until October to throw a bash.

Baby Yoda
 This year Jude and I dreamed up a Jedi Training Camp birthday.  It was a hit.  He invited all the boys in his class and they came over after school for exactly one hour.
Epic Jedi Lightsaber fight
 We hit the dollar store and found $1 lightsabers that really worked.  Each kid got one when they showed up and they mostly just battled the whole time.  This is our new fancy trampoline that gets more use than any trampoline I've ever seen.  We love it.  Thanks grandpa!
Learning from the Jedi Master
 My buddy Nathan was the Jedi Master and taught them very important skills using the force.  The boys were enthralled.
 After cupcakes and pizza Darth Vader showed up and attacked all of the Jedi.  He was outnumbered but managed to kidnap Mimi.
Darth Vader showed up and battled
 Other October happenings included Mimi being a mini me, vegetable lover.
Proof she is my daughter.  Frozen Peas as a snack.
 Jude and the whole famdamnly attending every single one of his soccer games.  We were committed and he was obsessed.  Hush even willingly coached one of the games.  He said it was hard because the although the kids are good they often get distracted.  Not Jude, though.  He plays hard.
Hush sub coached Jude's soccer team
 Blue Apron, saving the day.
Mimi making a giant mess while making dinner
 Oh!  We went to the circus!  I don't know who was more excited, me or the kids.  I don't really care about the animal parts but the people parts are so incredible!  Barnum and Bailey still put on a great show.  We also got to teach the kids about animal rights protesters and their cause.
Please note the rock and roll sign she's throwing up

Hanging with these clowns.
 October brought the birth of Rebekah's long awaited and much adored baby girl Harper.
My ladies. Rebekah delivering, me 6 months pregnant, Christine mercifully not pregnant.
 She's just the sweetest little baby in the whole world.  I wish I could love her up more but I have a germy toddler on my hands most of the time.  But I get to look and enjoy her sweetness from my position blocking Betty Lou from breathing on her and scratching her eyes out.
Harper is super jealous of her unicorn headband.
 We had a stowaway kid one weekend in October.  I love William.  He's right between Jude and Silas' ages and fits in great with our crowd.
Precautions visiting baby Harper.  Extra neighbor kid staying with us that weekend.
 Mimi 8 1/2, Jude 7. William 6, Silas 5 1/2, BL 13 months.
Jude losing teeth
 We were invited to Harper's baby blessing, or the equivalent at the Presbyterian Church.  It was a rockin' good time.  There was pop music that the kids knew (Jeff Buckley Hallelujah? Sure, why not!) and a interactive dancing part.  It was fantastic.  We will definitely be back.  What they lack in extensive doctrine they make up for in great people, good messages, and fun services.
That's Mimi in the stripes, rockin' out at church
 Oh, they also had breakfast.  The kids thought they'd discovered a new world.
Silas thrilled beyond belief about church breakfast
 The weather was amazing this October so we were able to do a little climbing.  It was fun but too hard being pregnant, chasing a baby, and backing up Hush with setting up top ropes.  Still a good day.
Climbing in Big Cottonwood Canyon
 Also, picture day.  I let the kids wear whatever fancy thing they wanted for picture day, which meant a crown for Mimi and a mustache for Jude.  Silas wouldn't get on board.  I don't buy the pictures because they're overpriced and anachronistic so I let them have fun with it.  Jude will probably be the only first grader in the year book with a 'stache. Si's bowtie killed me.  But he has a awkward smiling problem when he has to smile on demand.
School Picture Day Finery.



No comments: