7/23/14

The Never Ending Arena


At dawn I was awakened by a child's panicked sprint to the bathroom so she could find a place to vomit.  The bathroom was locked because yesterday, in keeping with this summer's theme, the toilet had become clogged and overflowed.
That kid made it to the garbage can and the next came staggering into my room with barf all over his face and hair, "I barfed on my bed, mama." 
And so it goes.
Last week we made some offers on houses, none of them worked out.  During the weekend we took an overnight break from the last three weeks of house hunting and went to St George to see the Little Mermaid, tickets we'd had as gifts for Christmas from Hush. 

 It was a much needed respite (though it was 103) and we also stopped at the Fillmore hot springs as per our tradition.

But on the way home we were again confronted with our interminable homelessness and I started weeping. I just do not want to start all over again.  Sure we could find a place that's too small for a bunch of money, but there goes my kid plan for next year and see you later to the last year of investment in friends.  We've moved every year.  More packing, another change of schools, another preschool search, a new ward to trick into thinking we're normal, friends that will not measure up to my adored neighborhood friends. Forced change.
So down came the tears.

In the words of Wayne Campbell, "What the hell is going on? I lost my show. I lost my best friend. I lost my girl.  I'm being shit on, that's all, shit on."

After our five hour drive from St George on Sunday my sweet wise husband banished me from Utah until he finds us a house and moves us in.  He loaded us all back in the car at 7 at night and drove us 12 hours to Dville. 

And six hours into the drive Jude barfed all over himself, no warning and no bag.  Hush looked at his watch and said,"Right on schedule."  Then Jude barfed seven more times apparently unaware of the utility of a plastic bag.  Poor sick boy trapped in the car. Poor all of us getting covered in vomit.
We arrived at 6am and put Hush on a plane at 10.
Then somebody overflowed the toilet yesterday and today more barfing.

None of this is funny yet. Of course we could play the at least game (at least my husband is wonderful and supportive and doesn't ditch us, at least we have sufficient funds, at least we have working air conditioned cars, etc) but any way you slice it this forced move at 8 months pregnant sucks. And I am ready to be finished with the compounding series of unfortunate events.
Edited: Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's just Tuesday in Nor's life."

As for attitude, I'm also done being positive as I generally am during my biannual life crisis.  Not all of them have been blogged, but literally every six months I am slammed with a random and unnecessary trial.  I think I might be cursed. I set up and plan for a simple life and the rug gets pulled out.  Things improve and I think finally, finally we are out of the trials crosshairs and then the bottom drops out.  It's getting to the point where I'm nervous to get out of bed in the morning.

I wrote bit of prose during my previous crushing life blow. It seems to apply every six months.  If you're wondering how I manage these challenges, the answer is I just wake up every morning. I don't have any choice but to live through this.  Anger, yes. But mostly resignation.

The Never Ending Arena

I guess I'll stand in the arena
I'll be there standing in the cold
With weather beating on me
And yes, it's getting old

I'll watch as I'm encircled 
By the lions and the wolves
I'll stand there solo, if I'm bidden
Stand there naked, stand there clothed

My oar will be thrust deepest
I'll be in up to the hilt
My hands they will be messy
My body gone full tilt

It'll rain until I'm soaking
My heart buried by the jeers
Trip and fall as usual
I long gave up on tears

But still I'll be recipient
Of another deadset blow
Designed to push me lower
Unnumbered sly arrow

And though my spirit sinketh
And my body begs give in
I still stand up each morning
I still seem to begin

Because the next day always wakens
The first light a disappoint 
That the end of trouble isn't 
That I'm still here in this joint

Perhaps because I will it
The dread fight lingers on 
My unsinking spirit drowning
In this arena I've made home

Brought low each passing season
With another arrow's sling
The next wave of of misfortune
And my ever living being.

4 comments:

Nicku B said...

Read this from TD Jakes this morning, hope you find it encouraging..."If you were not awesome, you would not have an arsenal attack you...the greater the attack, the greater the possibilities." Don't let the enemy trick you into ineffectiveness. He would love for you to give up right now, but God is bigger and you are mighty <3 Enjoy Dville!!! Home sweet home!

Ruby Dopp said...

I am sorry. This has to be the last hurdle! You are due for some smooth sailing, really.

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry. What else is there to say. We are past the point about having a stiff up lip and all that jazz. This just sucks. I'm sorry. But.... Yay for Dville and family support, and hilarious sisters, and Pam, and all of the things that make you feel nurtured. If you can't have Sugar House, and a permanent home, Dville is the next best spot. Yes, I agree, Hush is the best. What a Kick A husband. So glad you have each other. Hugs XO

MaryAnn said...

Sending love your way....what more can be said? Be happy you are part of a fabulous family who support and nurture you. Rich blessings are in store for you....