3/24/14

Voyage to See the Mouse

First, the getting there.

Dear everybody who casually makes the drive from SLC to LA: You are all dirty liars. 

You led me to believe that it was no big deal.  Like 8 hours, right?

WRONG.  That horrible hideous drive was 11 hours, minimum.  Add two for stupid road construction between Vegas and St. George.

Here I was thinking SLC to Vegas was like LA to Vegas: 3 1/2 hrs, 4 on a bad weekend.  I say nay nay. That torturous drive from SLC to Vegas is like 8 hours by itself.  I left SLC at about 7pm thinking I’d reach Vegas by like 11.  Not even close.

I’ve driven SLC to SF a number of times and I can do it with kid in about 11/12 hrs.  I usually stay over somewhere.  But I’ve just assumed that Vegas was closer because surely nobody would live in such an isolated place that takes 11 hours to get anywhere.  Now I understand why there are so many LDS people here.  If you make the journey you might as well just convert because you’re not going anywhere any time soon.  Oh, and flights?  Anywhere I’ve looked costs about $400 for a weekend trip!  Multiply by kids and sorry, forget it.  We are immobile.

Thankfully, my children are seasoned and excellent travelers.  They had no issue with the length of the trip and we made it into a lovely odyssey of Americana.

We crashed in Las Vegas the first night because Hush was at a work conference there and he had a nice (free) room at the Luxor.  The only thing I’m sure he was missing was four extra people barging in at 2am.

115

Yogurt on the way out of Vegas.  I bet I could have convinced the kids that Vegas was just another Disneyland.  They were into it and wanted to stay.

118120

In Baker we found a kitschy Alien Jerky place complete with an Alien display and a lot of creepy conspiracy theory.  Silas was appropriately creeped out.  Their beef jerky there is kinda gross, but it’s a fun place to stop. 

Once leaving Alien Jerky my fantastic any-time sickness kicked in and I found myself barfing into a plastic baggy WHILE I WAS DRIVING.  Oh, and when I puked it exploded INTO MY EYES.  I barfed in my own face.  Traumatizing.

123

After the incident we were guided by gigantic signs to Peggy Sue’s Diner.  I recommend this place.  It has tons of movie memorabilia and a fun park in the back full of dinosaurs.  It’s like going back in time sitting at the bar and the kids thought it was rad.

129135

Barfing, driving, barfing, driving.  At least the kids were glued to their iPads watching Frozen and I had a couple of good books on tape.  And man, did we ever have good accommodations upon arrival.  Check out Val and Alina’s new house!

220

Down a Palm tree lined road . . .

217

With a white picket fence and perfectly manicured front yard

219

Next to a neighbor who apparently drives a Celebrity House tour van!

214

You’ll find a cozy bed in one of three bedrooms

216

With a charming (freezing cold) pool

215

AND THIS UNBELIEVABLE CLOSET.

Deep in Bear Country (read: the Valley).

Thanks Val, Alina and Piper for making us feel at home!  We will be back next month.  If I can invent some sort of Beam-Me-There technology because I ain’t never doing that stupid drive again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val has a fenced-in pool??? WHAT!! That house is amazing!!! Will she take me?

Nor, you stop places. Everything takes longer.

--cat

Stacey said...

I'm pretty sure barfing and driving is worse than texting and driving. Shouldn't you pull over if it's actually exploding into your eyes??? You are amongst a very small crowd that would take that trip alone while nauseous!

Circe said...

You'll get used to the drive, and then you'll be one of those people who make it sound like no big deal. You just have to keep doing it and doing it! The trick is to make it to Cedar without stopping. Then trick yourself into thinking you're home free. And also, I cannot believe you can barf while driving and still have the will to live. I really can't believe it, and I'm in awe.

Val said...

Yay! Good post. Thanks for the house shout out. Come back any time. I didn't think you would actually leave because that drive is so endless. I kinda expected you to call D and tell him to come get the car because you were going to fly. That might be the magic combo. He drives the kids and you fly.

Evol Liberpool said...

Hi nice reading your posst