4/26/13

Leaving the Womb/Selling Out

Song:

“Salt Lake City” by The Dwarves

Quote: (Actually lyrics to the above song)

“There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you except the one thing that you want me to
We went across the mighty Rio Grande and saw Disneyland and the sea you and me
But there's one thing I'll never do not even for you
I'm not going to Salt Lake City
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you except to walk among the Osmond crew
I know you're planning for a latter day and you can't betray what you know in Provo
But there's one less town on the globe and if you must go there you're going alone
I'm not going to Salt Lake City even if they tell me I can stay
Even if they resurrect my brain I don't wanna go there I don't wanna go insane
I'm not pure and I'm not pretty and I'm not going to Salt Lake City
I'm not living in Hello Kitty and I'm not going to Salt Lake City”

Story:

There is no place like Dville.  I’ve ranted and raved about this little Bay Area town for years and years because it is kind of the perfect place to live.  I wrote about some of my favorite parts of Dville when we moved back here a year ago (holy moly, it’s already been a year!).

But we are leaving.

Yep, the kids and I have made a decision to move to Salt Lake City, Utah in June.  There it is in black and white.  Oh. My.  Those of you who know me know that I am eating a thousand different spiteful words I’ve said about that state.  Yes, I’m dying inside.  However, I have learned that in my life if I ever EVER swear something off it is absolutely bound to happen. 

And so we go.

A Overall Reason Summary:

- Fresh start.

- Good friend support, some family, and YOU blog followers (yeah, you read this you just signed yourself up to help.  It takes a village.)

- Solid place for kids

- Cheaper.

-  Kind of like moving to a foreign country!

-  City life but not TOO city like NYC or SF

-  More people in my life circumstances where my current location has pretty much only stable married couples.

-  Sounds challenging, I like challenges.

-  Good for the “co-parenting” relationship Dx and I have.  I don’t want to go into this on a public forum.  He supports this decision 100% and has been very helpful.  Ask me about it if you see me.

-  MAYBE school.  Haven’t decided yet.  One thing at a time.  I’ll let you know if I’m going to law school when I register.

- Niya.  She loves my children as much as I do.

-  God is making me.

 

Man, I have tried to avoid this.  My feelings toward this move are very complex – just the thought of moving away from my beloved Dville makes me tear up, but I am resigned to the inspiration that this is the best choice for my family at this time.  I can give it three years (or less if I damn well feel like moving back.) 

My family is very very close. My parents and 6 of my 7 siblings and their families all live within 35 minutes of each other (didja catch that?  Nate has made his permanent residence in Lafayette cemetery, but Val and Alina live in LA and visit often).  I often see three different family members on a daily basis.  Cousins go to school together, we are in the same carpools, we spend every Sunday night together.  I do not want to leave this.  Nonetheless I think my family overall supports our decision, but I am terrified to leave both my family and my friends that I so admire.  There are no women like Dville women.  I adore them.  Please don’t make this move harder than it already will be.  

I plan to make the absolute best of moving to SL, UT and to come without any preconceived attitudes and negativity.  I’m checking my Utah bashing at the state line. 

Important things to me about my current town/Things that I do not want to leave.

070

My little house where just me and my three babies lived happily.

069

My cleaning lady.  We’ve had a more stable relationship than most of the men in my life.

107

My mom’s plays staring my nieces and nephews.  I do the choreography.

145

24 person family bike ride on Conference Sunday.

166 

Our preschool.  We love Ms. Carol and Ms. Jackie.  And they don’t mind when I show up in my cheetah suit.

161159

Cousins Sylvie and Silas at preschool, and our preschool carpool.

206

The Oakland Temple.  Although sometimes it makes me cry.

 023  113

Mimi’s best friend twin girls who live on our court.  They are a blessing.

125

The court gang.

205206

My wonderful girl friends and their kids.  I’ve watched these kids grow up and I love them all. I’m trying to be discreet about posting pics of friends for political reasons and “don’t post this I just got out of the gym” reasons, but you know who you are.  Come visit me, there will always be a free room for you.

229

Mimi’s student of the week family tradition where we ALL come in and totally overwhelm the class.  I will totally miss this. 

 234

My family who can turn tragedy into a big fat Greenbaum party.  This was Death Day 2013, the first anniversary of my brother’s death.  Celia threw a party with balloons.

241

We wrote notes to Nate on the balloons and let them go. 

240

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I know it will be bitter-sweet for you....but Utah is a beautiful place and you all deserve a fresh start. It will be great! Xo

Circe said...

Come play! Your kids, my kids, our costume closet...And help me choreograph for my recital...and your kids must sign up for my girls' art dance and music camps...and I call introducing you to oh mai. Think maybe you should look into some northern suburbs? It's better out here, I tell ya!

Sheryl said...

Went to school here back in the day and the day I left I swore I would never come back. Ate my words, and have continued to eat them since living here. I think it was the hardest of all to swallow my pride. Either way-it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be and when you are where you're supposed to be, it all works out.

Circe said...

And ALSO! For the arts of all kinds, you can't beat SLC. Ballet West, Utah Symphony, Utah Opera, Pioneer Theater, Plam B Theater, Ririe Woodbury, Repertory Dance Theater, Hale Center Theater, our amazing downtown library, our cheap, fun zoo, the Leonardo museum, the Museum of Natural History at the U, tons of free concerts all over the place...I could go on. You won't even have time to regret moving here. You'll be too busy wondering how you could have ever had reservations. :) Sorry to be such a zealot, I'm just excited for you.

Unknown said...

My mom lives in SLC and I visit a few times a year. Would you be willing to meet me for coffee/tea sometime? You are one celebrity I have always wanted to meet in real life! I'll bring Mimi a custom made flouncy skirt :-)

laurel said...

Lenore!!! This is huge!

One Fish said...

I love that you have to check your Utah bashing at the state line. I'm excited for you to get here so we can be friends in real life again.

Jennie said...

We're so excited to have you join us. I ditto everything Circe said about the state and all it has to offer. Can't wait to hear about all of your new adventures.

Lauren in GA said...

If I lived in Utah I would be very helpful. I'm a good village idiot.

This is so huge. I actually got sad when I read the things you love that you will be leaving...but I know your new adventure will be fantastic...especially since God is making you go. :) That is the best reason of all to go...good for you, girlie. You will do great.