6/14/12

Follow the Streets Paved with Gold

At long last and after much strife we are finally settling in to our new home.  My mom says she always likes to see her kid’s houses and towns so that she can know how to picture them in her head.  I’ll do you one better.  Here’s a pictoral of our new (old!) town. 
We’ve moved to a little tiny modest town called Dville, pictured below.  The picture doesn’t actually do it justice because the street looks yellow when in fact it is gold.
image
Our house is right behind the domed one on the left.
If you follow the streets paved with gold you’ll find our town.  Come visit!  See why all the residents love it so much!
On your way over to visit, just turn left at the rainbow and wave to the butterflies and unicorns.  Careful of the bunnies and squirrels! 
image
What, everybody doesn’t have a neighborhood unicorn?
You may meet our neighbors, the Cleavers.  Say Hi to the Beave.
image
My mom actually looks like June.
Their house is a bit outdated, but they’re planning a remodel.
image
It may not look like much on the outside, but the inside is a modern palace.
Hopefully when you get here the kids are home from their diverse top-ten rated school and Daddy(Daddies?)  is home from work when you arrive.
Schools
Any of the above will do!
Most likely the kids went to school with their hair done and learned a lot.
image
Gretchen, fix your sock.  It’s slipping.  We have standards.
image
Ethnic diversity must be included to some degree at least. 
If so, then you’ll be right in time for dinner.  Chances are the Dad will still be at work slaving away to finance this dream town.
 image 
That’s me, on the right holding the bird.
After dinner let your kids ride bikes in the cul-de-sac  until the sun goes down, not worrying that they will be mown down.  Or, go for frozen yogurt down by the oak tree.  See if you can talk Pam into letting you borrow the Surrey. 
IMG_1432
What, YOUR grandma doesn’t own a Surrey?
Oh, did you want to see what our new house looks like?
image
Exterior.
 image
Interior
Ok, well maybe not on the house, but the town is total fact.  We actually found the least opulent place we could find – rent is even cheaper than Ptown and it’s not so big that I’m a slave to cleaning my house.  As soon as we got here two little 4 year old girls knocked on our door and Mimi had instant best friends.  We moved back here for them and getting this place was a breeze after so many tempests.  The kids play all day long and ride bikes or play ball in the court.  I registered her for school today and she got right in – to the top 10 school within walking distance.   My friends have dropped by with treats.  The menfolk showed up en masse to help us move in.  Sure, there are snags, but I know I am doing the right thing for the children over whom I am steward.  I only wish I could give all kids the same foundation.  We are so blessed.
It’s kind of dreamy.  Finally some good news.  Things are looking up. 
IMG_2509[1]
By the way, my littlest sister Camille is getting married!!  Click through to her blog (AFTER YOU COMMENT ON MINE, GEEZ!)

8 comments:

Sheryl said...

1. YAY!!! Congratulations on living in Oz/Dville
2. You should feel priviledged I not only comment on your blog, I actually read it. The only others blog I "read" are my own. You have a great writing style-I dig it.

katt (davidson) sharp said...

so you're home? I would love to see you! lunch? I'll try to FB message you sometime soon

kara said...

Eric is not allowed to read this. I've insisted on living in not-dville so he can be close to home and not commute. He would love love love to be in dville. So, he won't be reading this. But, happy for YOU! It is such a sweet town.

Anonymous said...

I am SO HAPPY you are back where you are loved and needed! We are so blessed to have two Greenan girls now in the Ole Dville ward:)
Love, Jen Brown

Lauren in GA said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!

Are you in your parents ward?

Okay, I loved all of the humor...but I am a little slow on the uptake...at first I thought the house you pictured beneath the family picture of the Cleavers was your new house. Then I noticed that there was a sign in the yard that said something about the Beaver.

I am so, so, so, so, HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Some peace at last. You are on your way, girlie.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

I'm glad you're not a gypsy anymore, although, if TLC made a show about you, I'd totally watch.

laurel said...

So happy for you! What a great place to live. It's the one and possibly only place that I'd leave NYC for without kicking and screaming!

Laurie said...

Welcome to Dville. I have to agree, it's like a fairy tale. I'll look for the pink hair when I'm about town, and maybe we'll get to meet face-to-face - It will be like a celebrity sighting... there's Nortorious!