10/4/12

Not Raising Dummies

We’re in the car a lot, like most families are.  We have the ubiquitous DVD player, but I often feel guilty that the kids are exposed to that type of media so frequently and that it has no educational value for the most part (the exception being the Leap Frog Videos that have taught my kids their letter sounds and numbers, go buy those.)

What DOES makes kids smart is listening to stories being read to them.  Books on tape.  Reading to kids accesses:

  1. More logical thinking skills. Another illustration of the importance of reading to children is their ability to grasp abstract concepts, apply logic in various scenarios, recognize cause and effect, and utilize good judgment. As your toddler or preschooler begins to relate the scenarios in books to what’s happening in his own world, he’ll become more excited about the stories you share.
  2. Enhanced concentration and discipline. Toddlers may initially squirm and become distracted during story time, but eventually they’ll learn to stay put for the duration of the book. Along with reading comprehension comes a stronger self-discipline, longer attention span, and better memory retention, all of which will serve your child well when she enters school.

Well if you’re like me the time you have scheduled to read to your kids is right before bed when everybody is tired and I am grumpy.  I am also so tired of all the books we have. 

I’ve found a few solutions that work for me and my kids and your kids if they’re in my car.  The Mormon Channel App is free and has every Friend magazine read aloud with new ones available every month.  But that app is kinda finicky and hard to be sure the kids are going to engage.  If I’m going to put on a story for them I want to make sure it’s going to catch their attention quickly.

I’ve switched to searching on YouTube which has an endless supply of children’s books read aloud and songs.  The books are usually 5-8 mins long.  My kids LOVE Bill Harley.   He may be old news to some moms but we just discovered him this year and his stories are so beloved by my minions that Mimi is being a Skunk for Halloween, with pride.

image 

After the stories I ask them basic comprehension questions about the beginning middle and end, why the author wrote the story, what advice they’d give the characters, and other very specific questions that demonstrate their retention and synthesis. 

Nearly every teacher is taught Bloom’s Taxonomy before they’re put in the classroom.  It basically means that people learn and understand in levels/stages starting at the bottom of the pyramid.  If you’re a parent intent on developing critical thinking skills in your kid you should know and apply this:

image

Here’s how you apply the Taxonomy.  Ask questions about the stories the kids like by using the words on the right:

 image

So next time you’re in the car click through some of these and feel proud of yourself for enhancing your child’s logical thinking skills and concentration!   

Here are our family favorites.  Click, plug in and listen!

Bill Harley “You’re Not the Boss of Me”

This is a good one for Fairy Tales Classics:

I usually search for classic nursery rhymes and tales because this is the literature of childhood.  Your kid needs to know nursery rhymes and fairy tales (beyond Disney, beyond the cheap Barbie movies we all own from Target) because they are a major literary source and reference useful for the rest of their lives.  Part of our cultural parlance is heavily based on stories your kids should be learning that you and I often take for granted.  Newspapers refer to “Humpty Dumpty Economics” and “Crying Wolf” and even old Eliot Spitzer was linked with the Emporer’s New Clothing.  Stock markets claim the “Sky is Falling.”  

Peter Rabbit.  All of those Beatrix Potter books are SO LONG.

My other favorite choices are those books that have too much damn writing for me to sit for 25 minutes reading one stinking book.  Oh, don’t tell me I’m the only one who avoids the Berenstein freaking Bears some nights. 

And, of course, you can always find primary songs. 

Oh, and if you’re reading more advanced things, I’ve found the Wizard of Oz read aloud on there and Harry Potter.  I think this girl is pretty good!

“Read” to those kids.  It makes them smarter.  From one lazy tired mother to another.  XXOXOX

7 comments:

S said...

I go to the library with my computer and upload the books on CD onto my laptop, then put it on an ipod so my kids can listen to it.

I mean, I don't, if you're finicky about things like that.

And I don't ask them questions about it because Madeline would get mad when I asked and I figured once they like the stories enough they should think about it on their own like I did. But I could be wrong too.

Lesa said...

You are awesome! I mean it.

Saheli said...

Really great summary. I love where you explain the importance of being able to refer to fairy tales. You nicely re-articulate something my mother always used to say, but in contemporary terms. Going to share this with some of my godchildren's parents. Have you considered pitching this as an article to a parenting magazine?

One Fish said...

Love it. We are big on fairy tales and reading around here as well.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Sus burned me TONS of books on CD (not) from the library. My kids are so used to them in the car. I get annoyed b/c I can't listen to NPR while they listen. My kids like to hear the books they've read at home. They also like to listen to any books where the kids are at all naughty.

I never, ever buy books for them b/c I'd be annoyed if they got ruined. I get tons at goodwill and garage sales. I HATE the library!!! Kids destroy stuff. Books never get returned, which reminds me....

--cat

MaryAnn said...

I found the car to be a wonderful place to have kids undivided attention. As always a great post....

Circe said...

Just because of this excellent post, I told PT and Tizzy Little Red Riding Hood while waiting in the car today. Tizzy was laughing and PT kept saying, "I like this!" Starved for fairy tales, these kids! :)