6/17/12

It’s Good to Have a Girl

Miranda Giselle is 5 1/2.  We just signed her up for Kindergarten. 

I love this complex little child.  Here are some interesting things about my Mimi.

IMG_2487 

Mimi is into relationships.  She wants to talk about who is married to whom, true love’s kiss, what sort of boyfriend she is going to have when she’s Camille’s age, who it’s ok to kiss and who is not ok to kiss.  It’s a difficult stage for any parent and Mimi doesn’t have the fever any more than another five year old girl indoctrinated by Disney, but it is the current phase and I am keeping a close watch on this.  With mine and Dx’s genes and her own sneaky personality one of my main goals is to maintain her naiveté and foster healthy views of relationships (with a dash of old fashioned Disney fantasy!)

IMG_2519

Mimi is an animal lover and always has been.  This she definitely has more than other children I’ve observed.  Her most loving maternal self is exposed when Mimi is with animals.  I often say her spirit animal is a puppy, because she behaves exactly like one for good and bad.  Recently we discovered that you can hold chicks at the Alamo Hay and Grain.  Fun!

IMG_2427

Mimi is a great swimmer, beyond her years I think.  She was born a fish, as are all my kids.  I’m proud of her obedience and feelings of accomplishment at swimming lessons.

IMG_2281 

Mimi is super girlie.  She loved going with Niya to see her model things and frequently likes to dress up to take pictures.  I happily oblige because the camera loves her.  Her chocolatey skin makes her look so delicious to me.  My kids are all 1/4 Thai, in case you didn’t notice. 

IMG_2311

I am so thankful to have a girl, especially one who wears dresses and skirts exclusively.  I have bought this child countless jeans and shorts, none of them ever get worn.  I happily gave up.

 IMG_2218

I’m kind of super jealous of Mimi’s hair.  It’s lush and full.  She is currently growing it to be as long as Tangled.  It is tangled.  Most of the time she lets me do it, but she prefers to wear headbands.  Miranda has an extensive collection of headbands, including headbands that she only wears to sleep.  Oh, and she is planning to dye her hair pink when she turns 18.

IMG_2035

Mimi is a sport.  She’ll happily dress up and loves to eagerly participate in all activities.

IMG_1661

Mims was the first of my kids to go through the Kindergarten screening tests.  She felt very special, until it was time for the shots.

IMG_1657

The boys coaching her through the eye exam.

IMG_1738

Mimi enjoys accessorizing and then losing all of those accessories.  She is also very touchy with her little brothers and pesters the living hell out of them. 

IMG_1802 

My little Mi is very self possessed.  In the last few months we have attended no fewer than about 6 different wards and in each one Mimi blends in perfectly.  She waltzes in Primary like she owns the place and happily participates in all the songs and activities, knowing not one person in the room.  She has confidence beyond any I’ve ever seen.  She is gregarious and happy – a true people person.

IMG_1844 

Mimi is a leader and is very brave.  Despite being the oldest, she harbors no fear and never shies away from a new experience.  I feel like a success as a parent when I watch Mimi boldly go where any other child would be timid, and then I remember that Mimi was just born that way. 

IMG_1889

And look at that little chin. I love it.  Silas, by the way, is the spitting image of Mimi at his same age (2 1/2).  She had those curls and they have the exact same chin, but he is lighter skinned.  Their personalities are also very similar.

IMG_2699[1]

My bathing beauty.  If there is a synchronized swimming team in this area we need to be a part of it.

IMG_2692[1]

Mother daughter rock climbing.

Though little Mi tests me to the very limits of my parenting capabilities, I love her dearly.  She is so interesting to me – so fiery and mercurial. 

chaos

5 comments:

Circe said...

Love that last quote; so apropos. It will be so fun to see where Mimi goes in life. It truly could be anywhere she chooses, with all that confidence, intelligence, beauty and passion.

Circe said...

That was Circe...logged in as my daughter. :)

Unknown said...

As a mother who is now raising a daughter after having THREE sons, I really appreciate this post for some reason.

CHAOS OF SOUL = birth to a star.

love it!

Lauren in GA said...

Mimi is beautiful and amazing. I am jealous of her hair, too.

I chuckled at her asking about, "true love's kiss".

I think the Disney indoctrination is a great idea.

I love that she goes into different Primaries and just fits right in.

Fenima said...

When you guys walked in with Mimi for the first time, I remember thinking, "She is one of the most beautiful baby girls I've ever seen."
I got distracted when you guys would sit in front of us during sacrament, and one of you would have her on your shoulder facing us. I remember telling you how beautiful she was. I think you said, "thank you."

She is getting more and more beautiful as she gets older.