7/30/11

You’re too Pure to be Pink

My streaks started out as just a few strands of color.  It became more and more difficult to separate the bleached and dyed hair from the normal looking hair.  Gradually the color was taking over my head:

046 

A new plan hatched.  Here’s how we accomplished one of my silly life goals:

1)  Assemble your team.

125  

Silas, my good friend and hairstylist Jody, Bea, Sol, Fifi, Batman, Cici and Mimi.  All faithfully attending the dying of the hair.

2)  Slap on some bleach.  Equal parts developer (30 proof) and bleach powder.  If it tingles it means it’s working.  Since my hair has been dyed darker (my natural color is a bit lighter than Silas’) it is harder to bleach to white.

133 135

3)  Go to work with half bleached hair.  Have students basically freak out begging to see the top half. Since the roots are virgin hair they bleach lighter and more quickly.  It’s really really ugly, like a calico cat disaster.  Such are the pains of bleaching.  It’s not an exact science.

 

005 009

Teaching Keyboarding and Public Speaking for a few weeks this summer.  It’s a pretty great job.  Today the above prompt came up – had to take picture of it for Pam (mom) and Max (nephew).  Not that either of them would fix either of those things.

4)  Freak out because Jody is late and maybe she isn’t going to finish my hair!  But no, she came and off we went to bleach again.  Typically I’d let the hair follicles rest for a bit, but eh.  My hair can take a double bleach ok.

015 016

Got my sweet kid’s hair shield thing on.  Knock off Toy Story.  Baller.  This is my yellow hair after two bleachings.  The color didn’t move much, but that is ok because I planned to dye over it. 

5) Coat your skin with Vaseline, anywhere your hair color might stain.  Notice how shiny my forehead is in these pics.

6)  Mix your dye.  All weird colors are semi permanent.  I went for stains rather than full saturating dyes.  Manic Panic stains bleached hair but isn’t recommended unless you want a soft color.  Prevada is only available to pro hair-dressers (like Jody.)  The rest you can buy at stupid Hot Topic (the devil’s store, according to Pam).  I prefer RAW and Special Effects.  Or Jerome Russell.

020 022

7) Have your hair dresser slap on the color.  Or do it yourself.  I usually do it myself.

 026 033

8)  Get used to your new hair!

055 075

216

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow you really suit pink hair! My own scalp is burning just looking at the pic of you with all that bleach on ;-)

Paige said...

Silas is wearing Sol's first Easter outfit! It's so foppish.

Michelle said...

I love the pink hair!

kara jayne said...

oh how i wish i could pull off pink hair. i will just continue to live through you!

Lauren in GA said...

I was really surprised to read that your natural hair color is actually a bit lighter than Silas'.

I am far too chicken to dye my hair pink. I'm with Kara Jayne...I will live vicariously through you! It looks very pretty on you.

What kind of reaction do you get from strangers? I'm nosy...I know...Will you keep it pink for the wedding?

Rach said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

spring said...

i was looking online at pictures of pastel hair and found a picture that i liked, clicked on it and it brought me to your blog! i've been wanting to dye my hair a fun color for a longtime and i think you just motivated me to do it! i'm lds too and have 3 kids and wasn't sure if i should go for it or not. lol. love the picture of you with your kids in front of the temple :)

nortorious said...

Do it and send me pics!! Do you have a blog?