10/25/10

Me versus The Minions

A few of my close friends are just now having their second children and they’ve been sharing with me their multiple kid hardness worries.  In my opinion, the mother becomes a parent with the first kid and the father becomes a parent with the second (or not at all).  The mother then becomes a machine when the third comes along. 

 photo

Silas, about 6 weeks old.  Me, 6 weeks unrested.

As you know, I’ve been doing my kids without a present spouse for much of their lives.  It’s very rewarding and very demanding, but also extremely fulfilling and pretty much really fun.  I like having kids close in age and have posted a lot about the benefits, but would not advocate it for the faint of heart.  It’s hardcore assembly line parenting a lot of the time.  Most of what I know about parenting I’ve learned from my sisters or out of desperation and highly concentrated experience.  And now I impart my trial by fire “wisdom” to my dearest friends.

How I Manage Raising These Sweet and Somewhat Naughty Little Kids

1)  Rely on the Lord. I’m not really doing it alone.  Though I feel somewhat guilty for gyping them out of a long period of individual attention afforded to many spread out children, I know my kids were sent to me at the perfect times.  Nonetheless, it is difficult to give them each adequate attention when all three are clambering and needy.  And yet I have confidence the Lord will help them toward what they need if I’m doing the best that I can.  He makes up the difference where I fall short.  My day requires a lot of prayers.016

All three on my legs.  People sometimes ask me why I have so many bruises.

2)  Accept offers of help.  People ask me what they can do to help me all the time.  I tell them.  A village is raising these kids and I appreciate each and every helper along the way.  My kids benefit from the diverse relationships they form with my babysitters, family, friends, and the strangers sitting behind me in church who offer to hold Silas. 

3)  Get over yourself.  You’re not going to be your prettiest when one kid is barfing on you and the other two are beating each other up and you’re just trying to look presentable before you leave the house.  Most days I get to chose:  shower or do my hair?  Makeup or spend time picking out something cute to wear?  This Sunday I got the kids and myself up, bathed, dressed, hair done, fed and out the door to Stake Conference in 55 minutes.  I left with wet hair, but we made it on time.  Yay!

051

Was it an outfit day or a hair/makeup day today?

4)  Celebrate small accomplishments.  The other day I rocked two carts all the way through Target with nobody crying and got all the kids buckled and the groceries in the car.  And then I shut the doors and did a Mary Catherine Gallagher “Tada!” Big finish. 

5) Separate the day into manageable portions.  If you wake up in the morning and think 11 hours until bedtime, you’re not going to have a good day.  We do three or four sections in our days.  Morning, noon naps, afternoon until 6, 6 to bedtime.  That way I don’t get worn out by afternoon and start checking the clock.  Assess yourself according to the smaller sections rather than the whole day, that way when some disaster happens it’s limited to that part of the day.  Morning good, naps bad, afternoon great, bedtime fair.005

I love the gym.  2 hours of babysitting.

6)  Sequester yourself when frustrated.  Sometimes you need a Mama time out.  I take them with my iphone, headphones or hiding in the laundry room.  Whatever it takes to avoid knocking heads together.

123

Attempted Christmas card photo session yesterday.  Fail.

7)  Cave.  Sometimes your peace of mind is more important than good parenting.  Do whatever it takes to keep them happy in situations that have the potential to become nightmarish.  Fighting against the messy candy?  Eh, give up.  Sure it teaches them to argue and cajole, but it gets me out of the checkout line with less problems. 

 

8)  Know your kid’s limits.  Plan days around what they can do reasonably without having complete meltdowns.  Don’t overdo it.  Say we go to the Oakland zoo and the kids spot the rides.  Just do the top half of the zoo and the rides. 

 

9)  Make your kids your allies.  Nobody likes fussy kids, even other kids.  When one is crying the others know that they have to take turns crying.  If Jude is crying, Mimi will try to help solve his problem.  If Si is crying Jude and Mimi both are concerned and try to help.  Thankfully my babies aren’t horribly fussy so the other kids know that when someone is crying there’s really a problem to be solved.015

Spot the three kids.  Want to sit by me in church? 

10) Have a daily sleep/eat schedule, even on the weekends.  it’s fine if you have to deviate but it’ll help you know why your kid is acting nasty when you’re off your regular schedule.  Kids like routines.

144

Rainy day cuddle fest.

11)  There is nothing better than the promise of a babysitter.  Life is better when you know next time you’re leaving, it doesn’t seem like you’ll be with the kids every minute of every day for the rest of their lives.  You will be nicer to your kids if you know that at 6 pm you’re off duty.  Kinda like how it feels to know that class is out at a certain time.  It only takes me about an hour to start to miss them and wonder about their well being.  So I try to stay out a LOT of hours.

12)  Score meals outside the house.  Three meals at home every day is too hard and too messy.  Hit your family up for food or eat out somewhere where the kids can be messy.  I also take them to nice restaurants if they have fast service.

13)  When it get's too hard, become highly amused not angry.  Sometimes I overstay our time at grocery stores or activities and everybody is starting to freak out.  I refuse to let my kids embarrass me so I turn it into a funny scream session with “Everybody Scream” or start dancing to the noise so I can address the problem and also make it more of an amusing spectacle than an annoyance.  Being a mother of three tiny kids (obviously completely my responsibility) is like belonging to a circus.  Make it a funny one.

photo (2)

Love these babies, My Echo, My Shadow and Mimi.

And my MOST USEFUL tip that I use nearly every single day:

14) Life could be MUCH HARDER or Paige Can Do This, So Can I. None of my kids are currently sick or have any special needs.  I like to think of somebody who has a harder life than mine and remind myself that if they can do it, so can I.  Mine’s usually Paige.  Or Jen G.  Or Marie Mad.  Or Mardee.  These women all have kids close in age and a few of them have multiples or kids with hard issues (serious allergies and whatnot).   They are doing a bang up job and if they can do it, dammit so can I.  I’d be flattered if you used me: “Nor has three tiny kids AND had an awesome awesome marriage and she seems to manage well enough.  Kind of.  When I see her, anyway.”

14 comments:

Fonzi Mama said...

As a single mom who is still new to this game, I definitely use you. Lol. If she can do it with three kids, I can do it with one! (And if she can be that dang skinny after three, too... well, then what's my excuse? Ha ha.) Hope you are doing well. I miss you and your class!!

Paige said...

Your life is way harder than mine. It scares me. No clue how I did 4 tiny kids. Now it's a cake walk. Except for That One.

kara jayne said...

could you be any more beautiful? i wish i had all these tips when i had my four under five years old. your a champ and i wish we lived by each other.

laurel said...

That last picture is scrumptious.

Mimi said...

This was a really helpful post. I'm starting to have some "multiple kid hardness worries" too, so thanks for the tips. I'm impressed that you can do everything you do and still have time to write about it! And I love your long hair, by the way.

Also, your October post made me really really miss California. Thanks a lot! :)

heidiram said...

I just have to say you are my hero. You rock! You are an inspiration to me.

Elizabeth said...

I think you are amazing! That is all.

anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this for ME!

I told you that I say, "If Nor can do three, then I can do one...or two."

Glad you posted very cute pictures of yourself and your kids. You have more cute pictures of yourself than I do.

Also, you should mention that you are back in your skinny jeans in that one pictures.

--cat

Brigitta said...

Love all the tips they are tried and true bits of advice.....you are doing a splendind job raising 3 littlins, it's hard work. So be proud of yourself each day you get through another groundhogs day. I am sure some days are better than others. And when they are 5,6,7 years old you will want to freeze them and will get to enjoy them more as little people rather than just taking care of basic needs....good job beautiful mom.

Love the pictures. Especially the last one of you and all three kids. Such a great picture.

Lauren in GA said...

I enjoyed all of this, Nor. I laughed at the, "Whatever it takes to avoid knocking heads together." Well said.

You are so beautiful. That picture of you with baby Silas is lovely. You don't look unrested. The first thing I thought was, "Oh, so beautiful.

I like the attempted Christmas card picture. I know you will get a great one. Jude is cracking me up with his arms crossed and I love his jacket.

Sally said...

Great post and excellent advice. There will be a day when you look back on this and say: how did I do that?! Because what you/we do is pretty amazing.

anonymous said...

BTW, I TOTALLY wonder how M. Madsen does it! I think twins would be my worst nightmare, and she has two others on top of that. She even takes them places. I don't get it. She must have those crazy Madsen genes.

--cat

Unknown said...

Your whole family is fabulous, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your advice -- it's some of the best parenting advice I've ever heard!! By the way, in the "hair/makeup or clothes day?" picture, I couldn't tell. You looked great all the way around.

So, what can I do to help?

Maryann said...

It will go by so fast...

You have a beautiful family and they are blessed to have you for their mom.