8/19/08

Then and Now

In the words of Cole Porter, Times have changed.
I used to travel like this:




On the beach in Barcelona, circa 2006. Note the small bag.

And now I travel like this:




Mimi, Jude and Cousin Alice packed like sardines in the SUV. Celia and I happily discovered that you CAN put three to a row in my car and still have the two midget seats in the back! Plenty of room to grow!

My homies and I used to roll in this:


My beloved '66 Mustang.

Now my homies and I roll in this:



This is my "I give up Stroller." Paige and I assembled it yesterday. It's a limo. It's ginormous and I love it, almost as much as my mustang. I love the occupants more.

I used to see bums like this:



Statue of the Promise of Death in Prague.
Now I see a bum belonging to him:


Remember when you thought that your life would be the same after you had kids? Things are different, but definitely better. I like having two better than I like having one kid because I feel more committed and expect just the standard clean house, happy kids, food on the table expectations of myself. We're working on scheduling right now, trying to get little people to sleep at the same time as I want to sleep. Mimi is doing pretty well, only a little regression with hitting and waking up after being put down to sleep for the night. Jude is nursing on both sides pretty well and still taking a supplemental bottle so I can leave him with a babysitter (mom). He's a pooping machine. He sleeps for long stretches at night. He has a clogged tear duct, but we're seeing the doctor tomorrow. Jude's a sweet little boy and I'm in love.



13 comments:

Sally said...

I am in love too. Mostly with Jude, but also with your new stroller.

Love the picture in the back seat of the car, that's how we roll. Yeeeeah boyeeee.

Tristan said...

Things change DRAMATICALLY after kids, it still amazes me. Love the limo stroller!

Jude is so beautiful! He really looks like Dax to me!

Ellie said...

good post.

that baby boy is KA-UTE

Anonymous said...

I'll take a baby bum over a brass statue bum any day. Jude is beautiful.

Mardee Rae said...

You sound so happy and well! Your babies are so beautiful, too. It is funny how much kids change us. Even if you think you know that your life will change, you don't REALLY know. I'm so glad that you are coming tomorrow! PS, I'm pushing the double stroller so that someday I can deserve the '66 mustang, which is the car I've always dreamed of. I honestly always imagined I would love it like I love the contents of my stroller :)

Lauren in GA said...

This was such a fantastic post...I laughed at your observations like, "Note the small bag." and the adorable way you said, "Now my homies and I roll in this" about the, "I give up Stroller".

My Adam had a clogged tear duct as a baby. The doctor told us it was a "Lacrimal Duct Obstruction". He had his until about 8 months of age. They said they were going to do a small surgery on the duct to clear it but it cleared on its own a week before the surgery. *Phew*

the wrath of khandrea said...

and in a few years, you will be so thrilled that you can once again travel light. we just took our first family vacation sans diaper bags, strollers, etc. it was heavenly.

Sherine said...

I used photobucket (free) to add big pics...

And as long as you don't start wearing sweats daily and talking baby talk on your blog I think your changes are great.

p.s.. jude is so cute I wish I could smell his newborness through the computer. I'm not creepy.

Hazen5 said...

I am suddenly a little bit "Baby Hungry" after reading this. (Don't tell my husband)

I love baby Jude!!

Jenibelle said...

He is so cute!!!! I want one of those. Someday.

Anonymous said...

More baby pics please! I love them, they brighten my day :)

Ilene said...

There aren't many other things cuter than a baby's bum. Even if it is covered in poop...

Both of my boys are huge poopers. Like 5 times a day.

Men.

Celia Fae said...

Have I told you this is a great post? Well, it is. The old pictures are what makes it.