4/24/08

Educating Young Minds

Mimi, 14 months, doing a little light reading.


Mimi and I knock out out weekly schedule generally without issue. We have nap times down to a science and reliable babysitters. But today things went slightly awry.

On Mondays she stays with Dx in the morning, Tuesday Grandma has her for 4 1/2 hours in the afternoon. Wednesday and Friday she comes with me to school where a high school student meets her and takes her to play and eat on campus. All of my high school students know and love Mimi, she's the mascot.

On Thursdays I teach at one school in the morning until 9:40 while Mimi and Dx sleep in, go to Kindermusick at 10:30 for 45 mins, Mimi naps and then it's off to Grandma's while I go teach at the college for 3 hours. It's our big day and things need to go exactly as planned.

Educating about Oppression and the Man


Today my mom had a very important obligation and needed to pick Mimi up at the college rather than me drop her off at 1. So I got to take my rambunctious toddler to college for 15 minutes before class. My mom picked her up near the beginning of class. The students were surprised, especially being that they've watched me get more pregnant by the day and adding a toddler to the mix was fun for them to see. She proceeded to grab the white board marker and teach the early comers a thing or two, but not before she snuck under the fence to bang on the windows and disrupt another class.


But it was after Mom picked her up that the fun started.


Having toted her to the car up two flights of stairs, Mom buckled Mimi in her carseat and slammed the car door. With her purse, phone and KEYS inside! Every mom's worst nightmare!


Mom had to call the campus police who attempted to jimmie the door, but to no avail. They ended up breaking the back window to get into the car after half an hour. Mom picked glass shards out of Mimi's hair all afternoon. Having glass all over the car isn't good on the freeway, so Mom had to take the car (with Mimi) to a self carwash and vacuum it out. Mimi is terrified of vacuums and screamed the whole time as mom pumped quarters into the machine.


Everything turned out just fine, save for the busted window and Mom's feet. In true fabulous form, she did it all in three inch heels.
Mimi and Gramma Pamma, buddies from Day One.


Way to take care of the problem, Mom! You are still the best babysitter ever and I appreciate your car window sacrifice to free the baby from the locked car! I can't wait to hear about your adventures on Tuesday.

14 comments:

diane said...

Well it is take your daughter to work day. I locked my keys in the car while it was running. I know brilliant!

the wrath of khandrea said...

no, really. i cannot even believe this story to be true.

are you exaggerating? mostly about the broken window part?

Camille said...

you forgot the part where i called mom while she was blasting the window to tell her i locked my keys in the trunk of my car which was parked in our driveway. our family is car-tarded.

Paige said...

Everyone has locked kids in a car. Most of us, like Diane, like to do it with the motor running. Mom just had the cops brake the window for drama, she could have called me to bring her some keys. Poor mom, this is what she gets for being the BEST babysitter ever. She is scarred. I think she needs boxes of Sees to get over the emotional scarring.

I like how the vacuum cleaner is more damaging then being locked in a car. And she's also great for not telling you about it until afterwards.

Celia Fae said...

Did you like how I kept it a secret when I talked to you today? Huh? My mouth was tight as a drum. I think I should get a prize.

At least it was safety glass. Poor Gramma.

Ellie said...

WHAT? She neglected an opportunity to come to your class in costume!


I also like how Mimi is the Oppressor, not the oppressed. So true, so true.

Jake said...

Three generations of smart and beautiful women! Love it...

Linsey said...

This story is classic, especially the part about the vacuum cleaner. Your schedule makes me tired.

Lauren in GA said...

Gramma Pamma is the best! All in heels?! I agree with Gabi...no wonder all of the Greenbaums are so amazing.

Audry said...

Now that is a story. I did that once with the motor running in Palm Springs in 115 degree heat. But, I was able to get a hold of my husband before I broke the window out.

Unknown said...

I love the picture of Miranda reading Samuel Beckett! Guess we'll have to start reading more advanced stuff in class...

Sherine said...

Oh I feel for your mom. i've done that before. Twice. It's not as easy to break the glass as you think.

Sally said...

I am so jealous of you because your mom is really exceptional. I just don't know many women who would:
1. be willing to watch the grandkids that often, no matter how adorable
2. wear 3 inch heels with the grandkids
3. handle that whole ordeal without coming to get you out of class and
4. do it all over again next week.

I hope you know how lucky you, Dx and Mimi are! Of course Pam is lucky too.

grammy said...

what, WHAT W H A T, your not going to Bloggapluza or how ever you spell it. I was looking foreward to meeting you in person. You are a bit naughty....