4/16/15

That's What Saturdays are For

Saturdays are my second favorite day of the week (my first being Mondays because that is weekend for SAH mothers.)  Here are our last few months of Saturdays, the end of a non-existent winter and beginning of an unusually glorious Utah spring.
Saturdays are for Pogo contests.  Hush was the champion but Mimi has been practicing and she is coming up on him fast.
Saturdays are for exploring.  We are trying to find good adventures in the basin because the mountains are still covered in snow.  This hike looked more like a good place to dump a body.  But fun nonetheless.  It's somewhere over near Taylorsville by Hush's previous residence. He used to run there. With mace.
Saturdays are for team cooking with Blue Apron. I believe in Blue Apron, it is the most fabulous cooking thing that's happened to me in years. You need it for your birthday or Mother's Day. 
Saturdays are for balancing red vines on your face and then having an epic stale red vine battle.  What do you do when your kids sneak out of bed after they've been tucked in?  We rain red vines down upon them.  Back to bed or face the red vine barrage! 
Saturdays are for recovering after a long drive to LA to visit Aunties Alina and Val. BL 6 months, Alina evidently ageless and with perfect eyebrows. My eyebrows are "sisters, not twins, and they should be treated as such." ❤️broad city
Saturdays are also for abandoning all four of your kids at Valina's,
grabbing a pair of glasses from Val's organized sunglasses drawer,
and piling in Nathan's dad's car with Kim and Sarah Beth to make a panicked drive to Colin and Lisa's wedding in the San Diego temple.  It was a race against the wedding start time and the XL cokes we drank on the way down.  The cokes won.
Saturdays are for reconnecting with some of LA's finest at their reception.
Kim, me, Nathan, Shiloh, Colin, Lisa the most gorgeous bride, Stevo, Erin looking like the babest pinup girl, and dapper Adam.  A proud collection of freaks and geeks whom I adore.
Saturdays are for watching my five people bonding in the yard. Hush is building a retaining wall and restructuring some things in the wall. There's a master plan.
Saturdays are for hammocks.  When I first checked out this house I was so excited to see three perfectly aligned  hammock trees that would keep Hush happy forever.  He's talking about double decker hammocks. 
Another Saturday Blue Apron meal. So, so delicious.
Saturdays are for free dance classes at Highland High. In an ingenious publicity push for their dance program the dancers put on a three hour free class a few days before their performance. The kids in the free class get to perform for 30 seconds in their show, which means all the parents have to come pay to see their whole entire endless dance show. Hats off, ya sneaky teenagers. Genius plan.
Saturdays are for snugglin my baby in my bed. Every baby I've raised I continue to relive our lost snuggles when I cuddle my current baby. This is why I'm addicted to having babies, I think. I'm trying to regain the infants I've lost as they've grown.
Saturdays are for learning to sit up!

Saturdays are for girl trips to the salon. 

This is how we're spending our transition to spring Saturdays. Pretty soon we will start traveling and hiking and playing soccer and going on outside adventures. But for now we are just relishing the free form days of family and, finally, roots.

4 comments:

Circe said...

Is your blog private? I just noticed that it hasn't been updating. Good, you're still there!

Jennie said...

Love it. Add me to your list. :) jendopp@hotmail.com and jenniedopp@gmail.com. Add both as I may transition soon. I need to go back in your archives and check out the Blue Apron thing again I'm forgetting the details. I may need to get it. :)

Rebekah Cummings said...

Love the picture of you and BL snuggling and the one of a freshly shaved Nathan. He looks so different. Glad you are still posting.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Much more fun than our Saturdays.