9/11/14

Here Comes My Baby!

After about a month of labor our sweet baby girl was born on Tuesday 9/9/14 at 5:11am.

The doctor did that horrible torture procedure that hurts like hell but encourages all of my babies to come within 24 hours on Monday morning.  I spent the day in about the same amount of pain as normal and then at about 11 Hush and I went for a walk.  By the time we got home I was in screaming pain but, having been here three time before I did not want to go into the hospital just to be told "Yes, you're dilating, but you're not progressing so good luck see ya later." 
Seasoned at worried runs to the hospital with my body who cried wolf, Hush took out the trash and changed the laundry not knowing that I was crying in pain.  But when he got behind the wheel and found me cursing and praying and begging for mercy, he drove like a bat out of hell to the hospital.  It takes an hour to get there, he made it in 25 minutes flat.  Cat Stevens made the time go quickly, especially "Here Comes My Baby."
When I got inside they checked me (I was a 6) hooked me up to an IV and started the epidural process within 10 minutes of arrival.  Epidurals are the scariest part for me.  They seem so risky and outrageous, but they're the only way to go. I prefer to get narcotics or something to calm me down like stadol or versed, but apparently there wasn't time.  I was shaking violently.
Once the epidural was in my heart rate zoomed down and I started to faint, then zoomed up really high. All of the sudden twelve people in scrubs burst into the room and said something about my baby being mad, did some stuff to fix the problem and then left again.  It was confusing and exciting.

After that we had three hours of calm, other than checks and water breaking.  At about 4am the nurse said I was fully dilated and called my doctor who came around 4:45. My dear friend Jessica came right before then, my other birth party people slept right through.  But Hush and Jess were there so it was ok. Hush held my leg and didn't look.  Jess took pictures.

Then I pushed that baby out in two minutes cause I'm a champ.
When she was born she needed about 45 minutes of special care because she had swallowed a lot of fluids. It was scary mostly because neither hush nor I were really sure what was going on and it seemed pretty invasive.  I had some stuff that needed attention too. But soon we were all able to bond together.  She weighed 7lbs 13oz and was 20inches long.
Hush's sister Kim was watching the three big kids so once they transfered me he went home to relieve her and get the kids to their schools.  

That afternoon Hush brought all the minions to the hospital and there was a great meeting of the children.  That afternoon was a rotating door of visitors that I was so grateful to have.



Then came the great debate about names.  By 11am I had received over 300 texts on a sisters and parent group text message.  It was epic.  

On Facebook and Instagram I had about 150 name suggestions.  I had not anticipated the interest and support.  It took us three days and much discussion to finally arrive at the exact name Hush and I been leaning toward since May.
So here she is, our perfect little sweetheart:
Betty Ophelia B.

I told you I was going to name her Bob!






3 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Betty is beautiful. I can smell that sweet baby smell just looking at the pictures. You are awesome! Sending love and wishes for easy days and nights and a smooth transition for everyone.

Miss Mary said...

So precious!! She is beautiful and I am so happy for you guys! Congrats!

Rebekah Cummings said...

Even though I was sad about missing the Birth Party, I think God had a plan to give you and Hush some alone time in preparation for BOB. But I am so happy I got to snuggle with her when she was only a few hours old.