10/22/13

The Mothership

I returned to the Mothership last week for a visit.  Apparently Utah has some bizarre vacation in the middle of October – Fall Break they call it or UEA.  I asked Hush about it and he told me it is scheduled to coincide with Huntin’ season.  What the what?  School is closed for HUNTING?  You gotta be kidding me.  I hereby request school also be closed for I Feel Like Going to Hawaii Week and TV Show Finale Week, AND on Shakespeare’s birthday since we’re making up holidays.

Anyway, home again home again jiggity jig.  I love visiting Dville.  More than I love visiting Dville, I love staying with my parents.  Why do people bitch and moan about living with their parents?  It’s paradise there!  Upon arrival I am fed warm chocolate chip cookies and my children are lifted into warm beds.  The kids wake up my parents instead of me in the morning, and then hit them up for breakfast and games games games.  It’s positively blissful!  No place is quite the vacation as going to the Mothership.  Food and service is love there (and nobody hugs me! Yay!)  Who among you does not revert into near teenage mode when staying with your mother? 

IMG_5210

Games with Grandma Pam, the best grandma ever.  They played average 2 hours of games with her every day.

The other day Hush polled the children about what I like to to do for fun.  Jude said earnestly, “Clean up after us” and Mimi said, “Buy us things and make us food.”

Hush brightened and said, “Great!  Tonight YOU guys will do all the fun things and we will lay on the couch.”  It was an epic scene of shock and complaints, but it resulted in a mopped kitchen floor. 

Sadly, my mother is not so lucky.  I show up and pretty much expect exactly what Jude and Mimi expect: feed me and take care of my responsibilities, please!  But I do bring her grandchildren who adore her, so I’ll just keep telling myself it’s payment in children rendered.

Have I mentioned recently how grateful I am to have a huge family?  I miss them all and am so grateful for everything my family has taught me about parenting.  What extraordinary examples of capable efficient child rearing I have at the touch of a send button.  As much as I am out here in the wilderness with my fledgling little family I know my coven is fighting the good fight every night at chaotic dinner times with their families. 

But not me last week.  I was on a dreamy vacation from cooking, cleaning and tending.  Thanks parents and sisters who took my kids!  Ready to get back in the saddle once more.

345

Bonneville Salt Flats are indeed made of salt.  We licked them.

355

Mimi and Teddy (nearly 2). Phil’s kid.  Phil photobomb.  We went early for Max’s farewell.  Celia’s eldest went on a mission to Tallahassee for two years.  It was quite the event for Celia.

360

At the farewell all the primary kids were asked to come sing “I hope they call me on a mission.”  All of our kids went up there too, even though they didn’t know the song.  Who cares?  Go up there and mouth it.

 

365

Another event, another set of coordinating outfits.  Except Mimi because we were surprise guests and didn’t get the memo.

374

Cousin gang

391

The great thing about having me for an auntie is that I’ll dye your hair any color you want, with or without permission.  This time there was permission granted.

393

But not from Jim.  I reached over to where he was sitting on the couch and smeared some blue on his silvery mane.

396

Phil acrobatics

399

Reading with Grandpa Jim

405

Mimi’s first hair dye experience. 

478

The cousins line up to get food at Grandmas.  Adults need warm food kids don’t.

482

Snuggling my boys

487

Elder Max, the man of the week.  Mimi 6, Jude 5, Silas 3 1/2

502008

They seem to be outgrowing their grandma chair.  Left is 10/2013, Right is 7/2011

514

Mimi doing her best Katy Perry makeup.

517

Jude’s reaction to Mimi’s makeup.

No comments: