2/18/11

Pony Couture

 

421

My little Mi going to preschool on her 4th birthday. 

I’d dress just like her if it were not widely frowned upon.

 

Mimi loves My Little Pony.  She’s loved them for about a year now and I encourage it for these reasons:

ponies

1)  The ponies are androgynous.   Truly.  None of them are gendered in the least.  They don’t have gendered pronouns; their voices are unidentifiable as female or male.  It’s creepy and comforting at the same time.

2)  No gender means no sexy things about them.  No worries about slutty clothes or ponies pairing off to make more ponies.

3)  They’re cheap, easy to come by, and can go in the bath.  They’re easily identified by the stamp on 403their rumps, called the “Cutie Mark.”  The main ponies are Pinkie Pie, Cheerliee, Rainbow Dash, Toola Roola, Scootaloo, Starsong, and Sweetie Belle.  I did not have to google that.

4)  Every couple of years they come up with other weird ponies.  Last year it was Mermaid Ponies, a movement we could get behind no matter how absurd.  This year it’s ponies with gigantism.

5)  There are a million My Little Pony videos on YouTube.  Frequently they are in foreign languages.

 

Mimi sneaks into my room and snatches my iphone during nap time.  She breaks into the phone and can find pony movies to watch without knowing how to read.

   

*****

A few weeks ago a package arrived at my door addressed to me.  Upon opening  I discovered seven vintage My Little Ponies from 1983-1984.  Did someone know we’re a pony household?  Who sent these mystery ponies?

And then it dawned on me.

I grabbed my iphone, and sure enough on the EBay ap was a completed transaction purchasing $37 worth of vintage My Little Ponies.

$37 for ponies!  Ponies!  Not even cute ones!  Collector’s items!

Yes, my preschooler can Ebay.  I will be turning off the “buy it now” option.

207

7 comments:

exdjryan said...

Mimi is adorable!

The cake was totally of professional caliber...

Rain in My Head said...

That post made me laugh out loud and then the winking picture at the end -- perfect. That mimi is a character. And you are a great mom. Love reading your blog.

Terri OConnor said...

AHAHHHHHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH! And then on a sad note...I always Dan to do my purchases! I need a Mimi tutorial.
t

Lauren in GA said...

Whoa...it is awesome and completely scary that she ordered those.

I love that last picture of her winking.

Ponies are so great...especially for the, "no sexy things about them." I am jealous that your child adores them. I have to worry about toys that come with weapons.

Sally said...

Mimi = genius.

I don't agree about the gender thing. Look at those gorgeous long eyelashes, coy poses, and let's face it: the "cutie mark" is just a tramp stamp.

But we like MLPs much more than Barbies.

Alex said...

Maybe Mimi can teach me how to use a smartphone! And the mac. Wow! Love this child!

OnCallMom said...

That is probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time! :) Love you blog, lenore.