5/21/09

Tokyo with Kids Day 3

Step Nine: Put your kids in their cutest outfits. Coordinating is best. You're going to look at those pictures for the rest of your life and chances are your kids are already kind of bugging you (mine weren't, but still) so you want them to be extra cute with their hair done in order to encourage the love a little bit more. On day three we found this place called The Children's Castle. (Check the opening hours, we were an hour early and it was rough). There are five floors of fun, including a live music drum room, an indoor play structure, a kitchen area, carnival games, craft rooms and a bike riding and jungle play area with balls on the roof. It was perfect for ages 0-11 and a total local hangout for kids.
My favorite of Jude's outfits. He's such a chub. It's all the noodles he slurps down.


Fabulous kitchen area where Mimi wore aprons and prepared sushi with pals.



Step Ten: Embrace all dorkiness.
I developed an I'm-in-Tokyo peace sign pose. Dx cuddled large cuddly animals (who whacked him somewhere inappropriate.)
Notice how our kids aren't interested at all.
Step Eleven: Point order. Most menus have pictures or the restaurants have that weird plastic food outside. If it looks like you might like it, you probably will love it. I point ordered this tart. I hoped they didn't cut it into smaller pieces, but alas, they did. I could have eaten the whole thing.

Shabu Shabu is different and much better in Tokyo. I don't know what we put in it, but one of the things on the plate to the right was called Jew's Ears. Is that kosher?


Step Twelve: Bring your own baby food and formula. What the heck is this stuff? He did enjoy the snacky stuff and drinks, but I have no idea what they were and it made me a little nervous.

Jude HAD to have his own handle on the subway or he would scream.

Step whatever: This is the ancient Kabuki theater, showing a million shows each day. It's a great place to see the old style theater and people wearing Kimono. We did not see a show because we had our kids, but it was within walking distance to our hotel and very cool all lit up at night. It's on our list when we go back.



Here's a video of the kids at the Children's Castle in Shibuya. It's rockin'.
This kinda ups the ante, doesn't it Kindermusick?

12 comments:

AnnEE said...

This is my favorite blogging feature I've read in a LONG time. I really hope there are many more blogs to come. Do you really drink the pool water? Doesn't that trip you out, what if you get a pube?

diane said...

Thanks for showing me around Tokyo. Sometimes being an armchair traveler is fun too. Your kids really make the city look even better.

Tristan said...

I'm loving all your pictures! Love the pic of Jude holding onto his own handle on the Subway!

Gretchie Love said...

I'm loving all these pics and videos....and the people in the video wearing masks....seems cruel to put your child in a mask :(

The Fredy Family said...

The pic of Jude on the subway is priceless!!! Glad to see traveling with toddlers can be do able!

Brigitta said...

Just read all your traveling adventures. What a fabulous trip.

Sally said...

Awesome, again.

Hazen5 said...

This is a dream trip to me! I want to live your life for a while.

the wrath of khandrea said...

is that guy in the video wearing a swine flu mask? he is!

kindermusik doesn't have swine flu. paige told me so.

Rach said...

How ARE you?? I have been in my own little bubble lately, but I've thought about you and your trip a lot. It looks like you had so much fun. I'm actually coming to church next week, so my bubble will officially be over:( but the good news - I'll get to see much more of you and evveryone.

Hollyween said...

You live a totally exotic life. And when I see your pics, it makes me want to live your life for a day... or a week. Or... an hour.

Jude is gorgeous. He and Mimi are basically twins except one is male and one is female.

Lauren in GA said...

When I was in the hospital I was so missing reading about your travels. Thanks again for my book. You are such a thoughtful gift giver...I laughed so hard...so crafty and creative.

Jude is so big and your kids are so gorgeous. I will never tire of saying that.

I noticed that Jude had his sweet little hand on the subway handle before I read the caption below the picture. That is so adorable.

Awesome!! A live band at the Children's Castle!? Amazing!