9/21/07

Mommy MySpace




Blogger, MySpace, Friendster, Facebook. Which to choose? The answer depends on your age bracket and goals for your online communication.



All of these sites are aimed at social networking or online community. Here's the breakdown of the respective sites:






MySpace: intended for the artistic types to "network." Usually networking to this group (generally 18-30 Singles) means posting a bunch of pictures of yourself, your music, your art, your movies. Kinda feels a little braggy, but the artists on-line actually do use this site to hook up professional services. See Niya's tasteful page.




Friendster: Attempts to keep groups in contact. You can join groups from your graduating high school class, your work, your neighborhood. Kinda boring, you can get found by people you may not want to find you.




Facebook: Younger target audience, generation Y (also known as the Me Generation). If you see young people posing for pictures by themselves (something NO Gen Xer would do unless for a specific purpose, as it would be weird and vain) they are posing for Facebook pictures. If you are over 25, you are embarrassing yourself. Profiles often have 100's of pictures of the person looking cute and obnoxious. See Phil's.




Blogger: Also known as Mommy MySpace. No official grouping mechanism, you arrange your own groups by linking people you like. Somewhat of a personality contest with the commenting feature and how many people link you. Appropriate to use self-effacing humor, the OCCASIONAL serious post, and lots of pictures of children. Go easy on the profiles. Sadly, most posts are somewhat watered down, as writers are aware of the public nature of posts. The best blogs are those where the writer has no censors (i.e. Rynna's).


Choose your online community at your own risk. You may be contacted by people you'd rather forget and you have no idea who reads your blog/profile/space. And Devin, no. I don't want to be your friend on Facebook. You are too old for facebook.

6 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Yeah, I wish I would have known this yesterday when I clicked on someone's invite to join facebook. I'm glad I have my mommy myspace. What do the really old people get? Special Interest myspace?

Scotty said...

To answer Celia fae's question, the older people get chain letters. Snail mail and all. Keeps them young and feeling like they by continuing the letter will cheat the grim reaper one more year....

By the way, I have to say that "my mommy myspace" is a bit sexest dont you think? There are plenty of Daddy's out there too. ;)

Rynna said...

i have one of the best blogs! i can't tell you how flattered i am. but sister, if you only knew what i'm holding back.

i went on myspace for less than a week and then decided it was ridiculous. and creepy.

Paige said...

Scotty, if there are plenty of daddy's out there I'd like to see one other than you. Really, I'd like to see them. I noticed all your links are mommys too.

Nori, it's good to know I'm on the right place on the internet. Thanks for the education. We do get confused by all those new fangled thing-a-ma-jigs on that there internet computer.

AnnEE said...

Im going to have to disagree with you on the whole myspace vs. facebook thing. Myspace is the one that if you have when youre older than 25, you should be shot. :o)

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on who you know...I was steering clear of Facebook until everyone in my office told me to join. Even the head of the company in NY is on there. It would have been a bad career move not to join. And most of the people connected to me are around my age or older. And my age is dirty 30.

I'm just sayin'.
LF